Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
capt.nasty

First Red on Fly

After many years of catching panfish, bass, and even a few trout excursions in the mountains, finally got started in the salt here in LA with this nice lil red. Great day even though is was blowin around 15kts! (gonna have to tighten my loops I think to get into that wind) Fished using a spoon fly tied by a member of the forum - Kirk D - also from LA. His mylar spoon flies are easily the best in the biz, or so says my friend who has guided for many years down here. Looking forward to many more trips as well as getting started on tying a lot my own flies (fresh and salt). Im sure I will be hanging around here more often.

post-43913-0-58333800-1339999529_thumb.jpg

A stellar red it is, great job! Welcome.

People keep mentioning this mysterious fly tying Kirk fellow... Again I must ask, "Who is this Kirk of whom you speak?"

I will seek the magical waters to the West on a quest to find this master of the marsh, the wizard of redfish, this purveyor of poppers.

Nice red and WELCOME to the forum! P.R.you're gonna make ole Kirk's head swell up[ and pop... :lol:

Murray

Just can't help poking a little fun, saltwater banter has been slow lately and the boats in the shop with a case of brain box damage... And Nasty's report has tweaked my fishing jones in the worst way!

Actually planning to make a trip out that way later this summer for some marsh madness. Getting ahold of Kirk will be the first item on my pre-trip check list :D

First and foremost, nice fish capt nasty. I'm saltwater fisherman at heart stuck in a state surrounded by freshwater. Kirk makes some of best flies I've ever seen, including some of his very own which is rare in the fly tying world.

Panama.. my apologies for lack of banter in the sw section. I am onto freshwater for the summer. Come fall ill be back tying saltwater like a mad man. So until then come out of your shell and visit the warmwater section!

Hey panama, if ever make your way over to the West coast, you have GOT to hit the Sierras!:)

Nasty, congratulations! Who did you fish with? Capt Dave Marino? There are only three guides down here that I sell my spoons to and Dave is one of them and it looks like that may be his boat. So, are you hooked now?

Panama, that Kirk is the one that ties flies and dreams about fishing one day with the renown Red of Panama. Drop me an email and let me know what your plans are. Hopefully the Tropical storms and hurricanes stay away this year.

Lykos, I was wondering why I had to go around the corner to scratch my ear...

Seriously, that spoon I've been told is the best shallow water spoon, that's fine with me - but that and twenty five minutes at the vise to make one will buy me a cup of coffee.

I say shallow water spoon as that is what it was designed for and down here there are several types of water to target redfish in and when I worked on its design, it was for the first fly rod only guide for redfish in Louisiana, Capt Bubby Rodriguez. His stomping grounds were shallow, grassy duck ponds.

He field tested it and I made adjustments with amount of weight and the positioning of it. I used Jon Cave's method to construct it but it is really different and with Bubby's design, which took almost a year of back and forth, he/we came up with the perfect spoon to fish his shallow grassy ponds. Now, in deeper water, it is still effective but if extra weight is added but some of the all epoxy ones and Cave's are better designed for those fish.

Chef, thanks.

Kirk

Kirk,

Fished with Jacques Touzet, a friend of mine who doesn't really guide anymore. Actually fished on my boat out near Delacroix. He says he knows you and that he won 50 spoons of yours at a tournament once, almost a lifetime supply for him now maybe. I'm definitely hooked now, any calm weekend will make me think first of poling around the grass flats and duck ponds tossing flies. Also dying to try to hook up a big bull red or jack from one of those huge summer-time surface churning schools I see out in bay eloi and breton sound. One day maybe...

quote name='Kirk Dietrich' timestamp='1340076786' post='508320']

Nasty, congratulations! Who did you fish with? Capt Dave Marino? There are only three guides down here that I sell my spoons to and Dave is one of them and it looks like that may be his boat. So, are you hooked now?

Panama, that Kirk is the one that ties flies and dreams about fishing one day with the renown Red of Panama. Drop me an email and let me know what your plans are. Hopefully the Tropical storms and hurricanes stay away this year.

Lykos, I was wondering why I had to go around the corner to scratch my ear...

Seriously, that spoon I've been told is the best shallow water spoon, that's fine with me - but that and twenty five minutes at the vise to make one will buy me a cup of coffee.

I say shallow water spoon as that is what it was designed for and down here there are several types of water to target redfish in and when I worked on its design, it was for the first fly rod only guide for redfish in Louisiana, Capt Bubby Rodriguez. His stomping grounds were shallow, grassy duck ponds.

He field tested it and I made adjustments with amount of weight and the positioning of it. I used Jon Cave's method to construct it but it is really different and with Bubby's design, which took almost a year of back and forth, he/we came up with the perfect spoon to fish his shallow grassy ponds. Now, in deeper water, it is still effective but if extra weight is added but some of the all epoxy ones and Cave's are better designed for those fish.

Chef, thanks.

Kirk

Southern Louisiana Redfish on fly - be still my heart. Just moved to Baton Rouge first of the year. Bought a kayak and have been learning how to fish out of it. Finally have gotten comfortable enough to stand in it and throw a fly. I'm thinking i need to meet some of you guys.