Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

chironomid hook size

I've found that chironomid hook size can go from 12 to 28. It just mainly depends on where you are fishing at.

On still waters, the larger sizes are more popular, and 12 and 14 will work fine. Moving water midge patterns lean to the smaller range, with a size 20 being about the most popular. For me, I know that two of the lakes I fish the chironomids have gray bodies, and a size 12 is a good match. My midge patterns for streams all are size 18 and smaller. Twenties and twenty-twos are the sizes I carry the most, and I always have a box full in any season. In late fall (Nov. and Dec,) and early winter through March the midge box is my primary box.

Yup- I've seen chironomid larvae and pupae that were easily 1/2 inch in length (hook size #10). I'm sure you can find even larger specimens in some lakes.

I agree, it depends on the water you'll be fishing. In the South Holston in TN, sizes 18-22 work best. Tail waters tend to have smaller insects than other waters.

My go to is a size 20 Griffith's Gnat. I've noticed that size fits most of the midges I see in SW Wisconsin. I usually go 16-18 for the dropper, which is almost always a midge larva or pupa.