Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Pamenter

The Flatsmaster

I got this recipie from Chris Beech who credits a source in the USA

Flats Master

Hook: Mustad S71SZ #4-#2/0 or Gamakatsu SL12S #1/0-#2/0

Thread: Tan Flat Waxed Nylon

Eyes: I-Balz (5/32 for #4-#2, 3/16 for size #1/0-#2/0)

Tail: Tan Marabou Blood Plume over Pearl Krystal Flash outside of which is a pair of Grizzly Hackle Tips

Body: (Optional Lead Wire overwrapped with) Pearl Mylar, epoxy over with a Palmered Grizzly Neck Hackle, stripped one side

1. Tie in a base of thread and tie in your pearl Krystal Flash above the hook barb.

2. Tie in a tan marabou blood plume with a grizzly hackle tip on each side splayed outwards.

3. Tie in a grizzly neck hackle with half of the fibers removed before tying in a piece of pearl mylar.

4. Wrap lead wire down the length of the body if desired and overwrap with thread (this is an option, omit if you are fishing shallow water).

5. Wet the body with head cement and wrap the pearl mylar to just behind the hook eye and tie off. Don’t trim.

6. Mix your epoxy. After a few minutes, apply a light coat over the pearl mylar wrapped body. Rotate as the epoxy sets. Your thread should be hanging on the thread stand ready to tie off the hackle.

7. When the epoxy gels, palmer the grizzly neck hackle through the epoxy coated body with evenly spaced wraps. Make two wraps before tying off and trimming the hackle.

8. Tie in I-Balz, whip finish, apply head cement and trim the underside of hackle fibers.

9. Present to your local bonefish, or goldies, or flathead, or…

post-42559-0-22350000-1342597469_thumb.jpg

post-42559-0-71268700-1342597483_thumb.jpg

post-42559-0-76786100-1342597496_thumb.jpg

post-42559-0-54590000-1342597512_thumb.jpg

post-42559-0-04782400-1342597524_thumb.jpg

post-42559-0-28964500-1342597535_thumb.jpg

I really like this! Ill give one or two a shot sometime. They seem like they would be good up here for sight casting to reds when theyre shallow...

Does the epoxy make much of a difference? If its not needed it seems like you could tie one in a matter of a couple minutes compared to waiting for epoxy to dry...

That's a really pretty fly Dave, thanks for posting.

IFLY, palmering a hackle over a hard body without some kind of adhesive will usually result in some serious durability issues. I'm gonna try substituting Liquid Fusion for the epoxy just for the heck of it. I think it'll work. The main thing is to glue down the stem and protect the mylar body.

FYI: I've been experimenting with something called Sulky Holoshimmer (and Sulky metallic thread) for pearl and metallic heads and bodies. It comes in 250-yard spools and sells for $4.79 (U.S.) at fabric and craft stores. It's a thin, flat polyester thread that really shines. I picked up a bunch of it recently at a half-price sale. I used to use Krystal Flash for saltwater heads, but this stuff is a lot stronger. I'll post some pix when I get a chance.

I really like this! Ill give one or two a shot sometime. They seem like they would be good up here for sight casting to reds when theyre shallow...

Does the epoxy make much of a difference? If its not needed it seems like you could tie one in a matter of a couple minutes compared to waiting for epoxy to dry...

I use 5 minute epoxy (adds a little weight) and it binds the feather when you palmer it through. You could use a UV reactive option, set it with a quick burst of light, palmer the hackle through and finish setting it off.......would be quick also.

That's a nice looking pattern. Reminds me of a pattern called Miheve's Flats Fly, originated by Greg Miheve, who is a commercial tier in FL. His pattern used a tail of calftail, and it was split like the claws on a crab. I don't recall if he used epoxy in the body or not.

There is also a Flats Master pattern listed in the Saltwater Fly Patterns book by Lefty Kreh, credited to Mike Wolverton in the late 80's or early 90's but it's not the same as this pattern. There is also a mention of Wolverton's pattern in Innovative Saltwater Flies by Bob Veverka. In Lefty's book it's shown as primarily a tan & orange pattern with a grizzly hackle collar. I knew of Miheve's pattern because I met him once & he sent me samples of it. I've copied it & used it as a crayfish pattern for Smallmouths. Knew of the other pattern too because I have tied it when I was tying commercially.

Here's Miheve's fly:

gregs-flats-fly.jpg

Flats Master (olive color variation).

l.jpg

Thanks for posting Dave, i might add that the flatsmaster can also be changed a little (no trimming of the hackle & tied slightly sparser), and tied in pink...Now it is probably one of the top pink salmon flies around, chinooks love it in the original colour too.

P3161323.jpg

Great fly!