Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bigfoot

Worm Fly Help

Does anyone know the material being used for the collar or cone on the fly in the link below? Any help would be great.

http://georgiariverfishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13624

The collar looks like estaz/cactus chenille. The cone looks like the plastic tube used to tie the body folded back over itself. I might be wrong on either.

Yeah the collar is a fritz chenille type material and the cone front is the pointy end of the rubber leg, cut off leg and that they have threaded hook through. I tie some pike flies using a similar method and don't think you need the front bullet bit of rubber. Its the rear end that wiggles and when the fish bits the rubber makes it feel more alive or so the lure makers claim. I would fish a metal cone or bead at the head to allow the fly to jig up and down on the retrieve.

These rubber 'legs' are hollow. I am almost positive he has inserted the hook through the hollow and brought it outside i=of the body, at which time he tied the 'rubber leg' to the and then added an Ice Chenille/Estaz collar, He then folded the front end (big end) of the leg back over itself (like turning a sock back on itself) to form the cone head. He also glued spinner bait skirt materials to the small end for the 'frayed' tail.

Thanks for all of the help. One more quick question on the plastic worms at the bottom of the picture that hasn't been used is that a piece of bent metal in there to hold the worm on the hook?

Thanks for all of the help. One more quick question on the plastic worms at the bottom of the picture that hasn't been used is that a piece of bent metal in there to hold the worm on the hook?

:unsure: are you meaning the mono weed guards? not sure which bit you are referring to.

The worms that have not been put on a hook do they have a piece of metal in them to hold them on the hook?

The worms that have not been put on a hook do they have a piece of metal in them to hold them on the hook?

If you mean here

post-42518-0-27054800-1343069857_thumb.jpg

The hole is where hook goes in and then you will secure with thread, and or glue. this is covered with the chenille.

That's where I am talking about doesn't that look like a piece of metal in the first worm?

I can't think why he would do that. I think its just an oddity from the picture. They hold on pretty solid just threaded on hook and then some thread wraps. If you were drop shot fishing or baitcasting you would just thread a worm on.

Guest rich mc

i talked with craig tonight the cones are called gum puckies they are size miniclear other info is silver horde lures , tackle art sales 425 774 7300 the look just like some dried silicone with a hole thru the center . they can be colored with marker or dip it type plastic colors. guess they are used more out west for squid type trolling flies . rich mc