Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

A few more brush streamers for bass

I recently picked up some new material (new to me) called Pseudo Hair and made some larger streamer brushes for bass patterns using it. Here's a brush I made mixing white Pseudo Hair with silver holographic Ice Dub:

DSC_0005-1.jpg

And made a few shad patterns off that brush:

DSC_0009-2.jpg

Also did a yellow brush and did a few perch-style color patterns:

DSC_0026-1.jpg

Total length on these is about 3.5" overall. I might get a chance to try these out this evening. :)

Awesome stuff! Brushes are addictive and quite useful for a variety of imitations from baitfish and shrimp to leeches, i even seem to be using the split thread type for heaps of patterns. Almost any material can be used, Llama is quite good - very soft and mobile. Great flies!

Awesome stuff! Brushes are addictive and quite useful for a variety of imitations from baitfish and shrimp to leeches, i even seem to be using the split thread type for heaps of patterns. Almost any material can be used, Llama is quite good - very soft and mobile. Great flies!

Agree, lovely patterns

Tested and approved.

IMGP3830.jpg

IMGP3834.jpg

These things get an unexpected and very promising action in the water...they almost walk the dog like a fluke! With subtle twitches, they dart left and right just under the surface. It was too much for bass to handle. :D

...they almost walk the dog like a fluke! With subtle twitches, they dart left and right just under the surface. It was too much for bass to handle. :D

Damn, now the secret is out!

I love your tank pond, beautiful fish and beautiful flies. Although this doesn't look like any baitfish in the water, that "red shad" pattern, black with some red mixed in the brush, is killer.

Nice work.

Kirk

...they almost walk the dog like a fluke! With subtle twitches, they dart left and right just under the surface. It was too much for bass to handle. :D

Damn, now the secret is out!

I love your tank pond, beautiful fish and beautiful flies. Although this doesn't look like any baitfish in the water, that "red shad" pattern, black with some red mixed in the brush, is killer.

Nice work.

Kirk

It's an old strip pit pond in Ohio that I get to fish maybe once a year. It's almost impossible to fly fish there without my kayak, very brushy around the edges. I popped one fish on top that was around 18-18.5" but most were just pounders.

Fantastic patterns, I'm getting more and more into making brushes for streamers. What are you using to color your flies?

Fantastic patterns, I'm getting more and more into making brushes for streamers. What are you using to color your flies?

Right now I am using Sharpies. They seemed to hold up well to some abuse last night, the colors still looked good.

*swirls glass* i really did enjoy following this, nicely tested!

Here is a video I made on the subject. Cream can do a better one I'm sure. Look forward to it. This particular twister is motorized but the technique is the same for manually spun ones. In fact, I find there is more control with the manual turning ones.

Kirk

i saw a thing maybe on YOU TUBE about using fabric paint to make a soft head on flies like this then adding the eyes.

did you do that to these flies?

i think it would give your fly more walk the dog action

i saw a thing maybe on YOU TUBE about using fabric paint to make a soft head on flies like this then adding the eyes.

did you do that to these flies?

i think it would give your fly more walk the dog action

I haven't tried it, with the action they got tied as they were, I doubt I change anything on them anytime soon.

Kirk, if I hadn't ruined my HD camcorder, I would make a video. It doesn't take submersion in water very well. :angry: