Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Floyd

Spiralator Tool

Here’s an old tool that some of you old timers might remember seeing or even using. It’s called the Chauncy Lively’s Spiralator. Parachute flies have the hackle on top. This tool enables you to put the hackle on the bottom of the fly. The photo’s of the instruction sheets are not very easy to read so if anyone wants a copy of the instruction just send me a PM and I’ll give you my address and you can send me a self addressed envelop or just send a stamp and I will be happy to send you copies. The tool is fairly easy to make. All you need is a half hitch tool, a sewing needle and epoxy glue.

post-1533-0-34134800-1343862383_thumb.jpgpost-1533-0-08547400-1343862434_thumb.jpgpost-1533-0-88391700-1343862472_thumb.jpg

I have scanned the instructions into my computer so I can now e-mail the instructions if you would like them. These are much easer to read.

ineresting subject . i like bits of old tying history

is there a less blurry photo of the instruction sheet?

the tool looks like todays sheperds style dubbing twisters

pm your address. i'd like a clearer copy of the instructions

thanks for that offer

norm

Hi Floyd,

Fly Tyer magazine did an article in their autumn issue in 1998, or '99 on his Spiralator flies, but I don't think that they included or mentioned that tool in the article. He may have modified the process by that time. Paul Weamer came up with a similar style that he calls Truform Mayflies. On another forum several years ago, he posted about this "new" style only to be told by another member that Chauncy came up with it many years before he did. Thank's for sharing the pic's.

Regards,

Mark