Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Air brushing barring on streamers

Good to hear the weather was kinder this time round. 22 takes to a fly isn't all that bad and if it fades you can always top it up. I lose flies at a right high enough to not worry too much about that fish to fade ratio.

Glad to see every thing is good. I just tyed a order on Peanut butter flys that wher 6 to 9 inch lond and use a perment marker for saltwater. Wouls have been better with a airbrush but if it will not stay on for a longer time it would not worth the cost of tring to find one to try. Let me know how ot works in the saltwater.

It has been my experience, when using sharpies, to warm up my feathers or hair before I a apply the color. This expands the pores or molecules which now will take more color. When they contract back to room temperature it will cause the color to lock into the material tighter. Easy test; Take two identical flies, colored with sharpies; drop one in aglass of ice water and you will notice it will become more vibriant; drop the other one in luke warm water and it will soon begin to fade. You in Louisanna should color your flies on a heat pad or out in the hot sun because your flies are more than likely being colored in an air conditioned room and the water you fishing them in is ashot or hotter than the air conditing which intern will cause the fly to fade faster. I have had to deal with this same prablem down here in Florida-Capish!

I do airbrush work, but so far I've not applied it to flies. One of the best color materials for airbrush work is food coloring. Without any water added, they can produce some very vibrant colors. And it will stain just about any thing. Once dried, they usually don't wash out easily. If you are looking for permanent colors for barring, try food coloring.

Just a thought.