Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
grassonfly

multi purpose saltwater leader.

I have been experimenting with various leader designs but i still feel that someone has figured out something better. right now i have 1 foot of 40 pound 2 feet of 20 pound 3 feet of 15 pound and 3 feet of 12 pound. i am fishing for mainly bonefish and snook with a 9 weight bvk. any suggestions for a better leader?

I have used this in Belize 4 foot of 30 pound 3 feet of 20 pound 2 feet of 15 pound and 3 feet of 12 pound for bonefish. I tried four of five leaders in Belize but this one workd the best. I am working on one for my redfish in NC. Hope this work.

I have used this in Belize 4 foot of 30 pound 3 feet of 20 pound 2 feet of 15 pound and 3 feet of 12 pound for bonefish. I tried four of five leaders in Belize but this one workd the best. I am working on one for my redfish in NC. Hope this work.

that is a very long butt section. ill try it out

i use a leader for bass that i found in FLY RODDING ESTUARIES by ED MITCHELL.

its a 9ft leader for my 8wt.

here it is 4ft of 30lb butt, 3ft of 20lb midsection, 2ft of 12lb tippet.

i use maxima chamelon for the butt & midsection + maxima flourocarbon for the tippet.

I found that the very long butt section made it land in the water softly. It loogs long but some of the guide down there like to longer leaders. The long butt also let the leader turn over for me. I cound thru it over 85' and have the leader be a stright line. IF you think it is to long take 6" off and try it. It may still be fine. Try this web site http://globalflyfisher.com/keywords/index.php?keyword=leaders. THis has some good infomation and it may help. There is a LeaderCalc that is fun to try new leaders.