Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NoSlack

Spotted Tussock Moth Caterpillar

Good evening everybody! I was just outside in the yard and noticed a bunch of Spotted Tussock Moth Caterpillars, the black/yellow/black with white hairs on the black parts of the caterpillars.

Anyways I was thinking of tying some up tomorrow.

Here's an SBS

Hook: 1x/2x dry fly hook size 6

Thread: danville utc70

Rear hackle: white(over sized)

Abdomen: black chenille and yellow chenille

Front hackle: same as rear

Thorax: black chenille

Wrap thread to the bend of the hook, then attached the over sized hackle. Tie on a length of black chenille. Wrap the chenille to 1/3 of the way to the eye of the hook. Couple wraps ofnthread should suffice and cut off the tag end of the black chenille. Loosely palmer the hackle up to where you tied off thr chenille. Tie off and trim the waste. Attach the yellow chenille and wrap to the 2/3 mark. Tie off and trim the waste. Attach the hackle you trimmed off the rear. Tie on a second piece of black chenille and wrap to the eye of the hook. Bring the hackle forward over the chenille, again keep it sparse. Whip finish and voila!

Trim the bottom of the front and rear hackle and add a drop of your favorite head cement.

I'll tie one up tomorrow and slap some pictures up.

Does anybody else have an SBS they'd like to share........or am I wasting my time thinking trout will take it....?

Fat fingers and Ipads don't mix......kind gets me thinking of Homer Simpson' phone wand. Sorry about the spelling.

Input --

I've never heard of the Spotted Tussock Moth Caterpillar, never seen one to my best recollection, and I've never tied a caterpillar pattern of any sort, ever.

We aren't ignoring your request, we just can't help.

Edit: I just googled Spotted Tussock Moth Caterpillars and I must say they are cool looking.

I've yet to see one though they are supposedly in the Maritime provinces. Cool looking bug, look forward to seeing your rendition...

Murray

There are a few different techniques to get some of the defining charectoristics of this catapillar . Will you fish this as a dry or drowned pattern? Here's a link to a catapillar pattern that may have a technique or two that could help you. http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2011/05/04/catapla-worm-fred-hannie/

post-11886-0-82879500-1346333229_thumb.jpg

I did'nt have the right hackle but I think this is a start . It just needs some tweeks .

post-11886-0-75733400-1346369697_thumb.jpg

Hey sorry about not putting up a picture as i have recently relocated to Alberta from Ontario. It seems i have loat my camera!

I'm goin up North this weekend to fish for Arctic Grayling, i'll try to borrow my friends camera and put it up this weekend.

That last tie is what i'm looking for.

I don't wnt to drown a caterpillar, so here's another question, do they float once on water or like hopper they slowly sink.... Anywyas thanks for in input.

Well fellows, I have come to the realization that I am completely behind the times... I don't text much I guess. What is an SBS? At least I can't hear you laughing... I am trying to get in tune with this abbreviated world, but.....

Well fellows, I have come to the realization that I am completely behind the times... I don't text much I guess. What is an SBS? At least I can't hear you laughing... I am trying to get in tune with this abbreviated world, but.....

Step By Step

if you want it to float use spun deer hair and wrap hackle over it like a bomber

Yes that could work aswell.

Do the naturals sink when they hit the water? Also our spotted tussock here lacks of the blacks spots on the yellow part, no reason has been found.

Thanks for the replies everybody!