Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chefben4

Any shooters/reloaders out there??

If you are a follower of the forum you would know that I usually am posting pictures of flies quite a bit because I am a tying fool! But..for the last couple weeks I have switched gears. Any one out there into guns, shooting, reloading, etc? Its almost hunting season up here in MI so Ive taken a little hiatus from tying to work on some shooting projects!

I've been working on one of my specialties. Checkering and refinishing gun stocks. I do them for my family and of course to my own collection. I just finished checkering the stock of my Winchester Model 12. Next up is installation of a grind-to-fit recoil pad and total refinishing of the stock (will post pictures when complete). It is looking good so far and I am hoping to have some progress this week on the finish. Another gunsmithing "technique" I learned is jeweling. Mostly for looks (however it has shown to hold oil/lubricate better). On the same Winchester Model 12 I jeweled the bolt. Turned out awesome. It was much easier to do then a regular bolt because it was flat so it was a nice change. Because one project isn't enough for me I have two others going, both for my uncle. One is a refinish and jeweling job for a Ruger 10-22 and the other is a total rehab for a Remington Scoremaster 22LR. On the total rehab removed rust from the barrel, buffed until I couldn't take it anymore, and had it reblued. I also refinished the stock and of course jeweled the bolt. Came out excellent.

2 weeks ago, I crossed an expensive line. I bought a Thompson Contender w/44 mag 10" barrel. As an avid reloaded I have been looking at these for some time and already have several barrels picked out Id like. Most of them wildcats for reloading fun! :unsure:

Any amateur gunsmiths out there? Re-loaders? T/C Shooters? Any projects coming into to fall? Id love to hear about them!

thanks for bringing back some fond memories. I don't do any type of gun smithing, but I remember my dad refinishing quite a few stocks and custom making a couple. I was always fascinated with the blueing process, but he didn't get very fancy with anything. I also remember helping (or so I thought I was) my grand father while he reloaded. I would get to set the primers and do little simple things, but that was enough to satisfy a young boy. As far as the shooting goes, I don't get to shoot at clay any more since I left northern Va and moved to the mountains, but we expend our share of rounds into targets. Its nothing much, just a bunch of red-necks shooting at stuff. Take care, and as before, thank for the trip down memory lane

thanks for bringing back some fond memories. I don't do any type of gun smithing, but I remember my dad refinishing quite a few stocks and custom making a couple. I was always fascinated with the blueing process, but he didn't get very fancy with anything. I also remember helping (or so I thought I was) my grand father while he reloaded. I would get to set the primers and do little simple things, but that was enough to satisfy a young boy. As far as the shooting goes, I don't get to shoot at clay any more since I left northern Va and moved to the mountains, but we expend our share of rounds into targets. Its nothing much, just a bunch of red-necks shooting at stuff. Take care, and as before, thank for the trip down memory lane

Im still relatively young (27) and my dad taught me most I know about shooting. He had me out there as a wee lil kid shooting/hunting, so its been kind of expected i'd be into shooting. The gunsmithing part is me having wayyyyy too many hobbies! I started reading and then getting hands on. Now its turned into many projects a year, seeming to get more and more detailed. I enjoy it and was putting a feeler out to see if anyone on the forum was into the same!

thanks for chiming in!

Love hunting - used to do more reloading. On my list this winter is to build a new reloading bench next to my fly tying bench. I have my dad's old Herter's press ... probably as old as I am. It is a pain to find shell holders for, but I do love the thing.

My fly tying desk doubles as a reloading bench. Due to limited space I just unbolt my press and store it under the bench and vice versa when tying! Archery opens here in a few weeks for deer and turkey!

Love hunting - used to do more reloading. On my list this winter is to build a new reloading bench next to my fly tying bench. I have my dad's old Herter's press ... probably as old as I am. It is a pain to find shell holders for, but I do love the thing.

I cant believe you can still find shell holders for the Herter Presses! My dad has an old Pacific 12 gauge press (Hornady bought them) and I cannot find any other shotgun dies for it sadly. Occasionally I will come across some, but they are sold quick. I use a lyman single stage for working up loads and a Dillion progressive for cranking out large quantities.

I've always wanted my 10-22 bolt jeweled send me a pm if your interested in doing another.

I'll be putting a 10-22 back together tonight with a refinished stock and jeweled bolt. Ill take a picture and if you like what you see I have no problem doing yours. I enjoy it and like having the projects. Most of my projects recently have been my uncle's gun collection since I have already worked through mine and my dads :unsure:

My fly tying desk doubles as a reloading bench. Due to limited space I just unbolt my press and store it under the bench and vice versa when tying! Archery opens here in a few weeks for deer and turkey!

In a perfect world I have an entire room (like some on here) dedicated to fly tying and shooting sports. I use a "portable" set up for fly tying. I use quotations because it is becoming more and more un-portable. TV Tray desk with way too many 3 drawer storage units. My reloading set-up is an old dresser converted over for my needs. It was a 4 drawer that I made a better suited top for, removed the top drawer and made it into a open storage area, and then I use the other drawers for supplies. Works out well, but leaves me wanting more..space.

I love to shoot but archery is my bad habbit I do a nostalgia deer hunt in December where I hunt only from the ground with a recurve bow no sights hand made cedar arrows with hand cut turkey feathers and hand hammered copper arrowheads I buy the cedar shafts but the rest I make I have taken a december deer this way every year for the past 8 years including a 10 point buck that ran a total of 12 yards before droping dead

I love to shoot but archery is my bad habbit I do a nostalgia deer hunt in December where I hunt only from the ground with a recurve bow no sights hand made cedar arrows with hand cut turkey feathers and hand hammered copper arrowheads I buy the cedar shafts but the rest I make I have taken a december deer this way every year for the past 8 years including a 10 point buck that ran a total of 12 yards before droping dead

Riff! That is awesome. Its cool to honor the tradition and hunt like that. I have several boxes of OLD arrows from who knows when that are all cedar shafts and turkey feather fletches! Im a bowhunter as well but I have a modern day bow that I use. I also have a recurve but that is only for bowfishing :lol:

Re: finding old Herters shell holders - that is what I like about Maine. Finding these old gun shops in the middle of nowhere, asking if they have any, and then, sometimes they'll get a funny look on their face, go to a back drawer, dig around and voila - out comes a Herter's shell holder. Always a good conversation starter.

I've always wanted my 10-22 bolt jeweled send me a pm if your interested in doing another.

I'll be putting a 10-22 back together tonight with a refinished stock and jeweled bolt. Ill take a picture and if you like what you see I have no problem doing yours. I enjoy it and like having the projects. Most of my projects recently have been my uncle's gun collection since I have already worked through mine and my dads :unsure:

That would be great. Can't wait for picture to see it.

I dont shoot centerfire to much anymore. The last 20 years or so I have gone blackpowder for most of my hunting.

Used to do bow hunting but havnt in a few years my ole hunting partner moved away so I havnt gone.

Here is a pic of a recent 10-22 job. Finally got it back together last night. Stock refinished (to my uncle's spec's), bolt polished and jeweled. Hopefully the picture quality isn't too bad (from my phone). Its hard to get a good picture of the completed jeweling, need to catch the light right!

IMAG0040.jpg

Here is a pic of a recent 10-22 job. Finally got it back together last night. Stock refinished (to my uncle's spec's), bolt polished and jeweled. Hopefully the picture quality isn't too bad (from my phone). Its hard to get a good picture of the completed jeweling, need to catch the light right

Looks good pm me with details