Fly Tying

I have been fishing all summer and generally I am on my own on the river. I am a teacher so I don't always get the chance to fish with my friends in the working world during the summer months because they come up on weekends, and it is packed to the gills on the river with people floating, fishing, or just raising cain. If we do get together, they aren't the type of guys that come running camera in hand when they hear "fish on" they generally walk the other way. When I am by myself, I can't really seem to get a successful method for getting fish pics. All summer long I got two or three pics off, one (shown below) was a fiasco that ended with my phone falling on a rock, and the other one I have gotten this summer came because the fished was too gassed to take off after I tried to get a picture in my hand and dropped him on the rocks. I don't want to harm the fish, so how do you get good pictures without having someone take it of you.

cutty1.jpg

I just saw a cool camera at wal-mart that takes video. It was in the sporting goods department and comes with a water resistant case, tripod, tree mount, hat mount and another mount for attaching to a strap. that might be something that would work. I didn't even look at the price.

Great picture Scott. I have the same problem, it's hard to be Ansel Adams when your'e playing with a greased pig.

Short arms and an uncooperative subject make interesting pictures hit or miss...yours is better than most of my attempts :D

IMG_0779.jpg

I just bought one of those fisherman proof cameras (my last one couldn't swim), should make the process less painful. Hope to get more pictures of the fish at (or in) water level.

pentax-optio-wg2-06.jpg

Because I'm generally fishing out of a guide skiff (think bonefish boat) most of my pics are of customers. When I'm on my own exploring (or whatever excuse is needed when I take time off from shopwork) I've learned over the years to bring a towel and wet it before it's needed. When I have a good fish that I want to photo, I lay that towel on the deck, then lay the fish on it just long enough for a photo and usually include whatever rod I was using for perspective... It helps that I keep my camera on a lanyard made of mono (and the lanyard's long enough to allow the camera (a waterproof Pentax) to sit in my pants pocket until needed. That wetted down towel provides a good surface for the fish to lay on and i'm able to release it afterwards in pretty good shape. When I'm out exploring I rarely pick up a fly rod since I'm trying to cover as much ground as possible - as quickly as possible. When I'm solo I may cover as much as 100 miles in a day running through the Everglades along the mangrove coasts. A day or so later when I have anglers with fly gear I'm sure they wonder why we fish one spot or another - it really helps when you actually know the fish are there from a day or so before.... Hope this helps and I'll add a few pics to show the results....

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-82632100-1347104733_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-09581100-1347104764_thumb.jpg

I just saw a cool camera at wal-mart that takes video. It was in the sporting goods department and comes with a water resistant case, tripod, tree mount, hat mount and another mount for attaching to a strap. that might be something that would work. I didn't even look at the price.

Sounds spendy. What is that they say, if you don't ask about the price there is probably a reason.

Great picture Scott. I have the same problem, it's hard to be Ansel Adams when your'e playing with a greased pig.

Short arms and an uncooperative subject make interesting pictures hit or miss...yours is better than most of my attempts :D

IMG_0779.jpg

I just bought one of those fisherman proof cameras (my last one couldn't swim), should make the process less painful. Hope to get more pictures of the fish at (or in) water level.

pentax-optio-wg2-06.jpg

That camera looks sweet. My problem is justifying a camera purchase for the sole purpose of taking fish pictures. I have that same short arm problem. That is funny.

Because I'm generally fishing out of a guide skiff (think bonefish boat) most of my pics are of customers. When I'm on my own exploring (or whatever excuse is needed when I take time off from shopwork) I've learned over the years to bring a towel and wet it before it's needed. When I have a good fish that I want to photo, I lay that towel on the deck, then lay the fish on it just long enough for a photo and usually include whatever rod I was using for perspective... It helps that I keep my camera on a lanyard made of mono (and the lanyard's long enough to allow the camera (a waterproof Pentax) to sit in my pants pocket until needed. That wetted down towel provides a good surface for the fish to lay on and i'm able to release it afterwards in pretty good shape. When I'm out exploring I rarely pick up a fly rod since I'm trying to cover as much ground as possible - as quickly as possible. When I'm solo I may cover as much as 100 miles in a day running through the Everglades along the mangrove coasts. A day or so later when I have anglers with fly gear I'm sure they wonder why we fish one spot or another - it really helps when you actually know the fish are there from a day or so before.... Hope this helps and I'll add a few pics to show the results....

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

Great idea bout the towel, I often fish alone and that is good way to photograph the fish without having them lose too much slime.

You may want to add a sharpie to your lanyard so you can add a spot to those reds like the one in your pic. That poor guy is swimming around without one and no doubt be made fun of by all of his friends who have them :lol:

That camera looks sweet. My problem is justifying a camera purchase for the sole purpose of taking fish pictures. I have that same short arm problem. That is funny.

Scott, you can do a lot more with a camera like that than just fish pictures. I plan to get one myself, for the simple reason that it's too risky to take my workhorse camera out in foul weather or around salt spray, etc. I missed out on some amazing scenes here a couple of weeks ago - tornadoes, waterspouts, lightning - that materialized under conditions that would have drowned my Canon. Even the DSLRs that claim to be weather-sealed can and will die in a torrential downpour. From what I've read, the image quality of the Optio series is very good, and there's certainly enough resolution to make big prints. They sound like good walkaround cameras, regardless of the weather.

I was able to get a couple of pictures off this weekend. Some ok, and some not so ok... I enhanced these specifically with instagram.

post-42158-0-57360900-1347301878_thumb.jpg

post-42158-0-96385800-1347301890_thumb.jpg

post-42158-0-61936000-1347301898_thumb.jpg

post-42158-0-65823100-1347301980_thumb.jpg

All these real trout pictures make me just a little homesick for my old stomping grounds around Redding Ca. My day taught me to fly fish around 13.... Caused a certain degree of absenteeism from school every spring and created a life long obsession.

Great pics

I use the same Pentax Optio W80 for all my photo work from shop photos with a tripod all the way to daily on the water pics.... For serious closeups (flies, knots, technical stuff) I try to not even touch the camera (I use a timed release). Everything is directly downloaded to my computer for sizing, organization, etc. I've not yet done any enhancing, preferring the actual picture every time (although with closeups I'll uusually do a variety of light sources from direct to artificial even flash the choose the one that best shows the bug..). Here's a few more samples -the shark pic was taken last Friday along the gulf coast of the Everglades. It's a medium sized lemon shark - about 8' long and 150lbs...

post-30940-0-64152800-1347362573_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-15839500-1347362610_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-71266900-1347362639_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-95249700-1347362732_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-35686400-1347362899_thumb.jpg

Does anyone use a smart phone? I am curious to see if there are any waterproof cases or just waterproof phones out there on the market that I could pick up. Verizon carrier, and eligible for an upgrade in January.