Fly Tying
Horseshoes

Calling all current and previous swapmeisters

lets not forget the duties of a good swapmeister (SM)

it is the SM sets the tone for a swap. if the SM doesnt communicate with the swappers until the final week, the the SM is not being resposible either. if the SM doesnt care about the deadline they set at the beginning of the swap then lets not blame the swappers if they are late. when i set a deadline i stick to it. if your swap flies are late (they are received after the deadline) they will be returned back to you without the swap flies. a little harsh you say, maybe and i'm sorry, but it just might teach someone about responsibility and commitment. once you reply that "im in" you become commited to the swap.

ive been in some swaps where the SM doesnt reply for a week or more after ive signed up. dont know if i'm even included for the swap.

i admit that i have dropped out of some swaps but i have always communicated with the SM. dropping out of a swap isnt a crime. sometimes an unforeseen situation happens and the swapper shouldnt be damned if it does. i dropped out of one swap because my job required me to travel and work in England and told the SM of that situation.

i have always sent my flies in early. it doesnt take a month to tie 12 flies for a swap. tying 2-3 flies per night and your done within a week or even less.

self addressed stamped envelope is not that hard to do yet some swappers believe its the SM duty to provide one. WRONG! its the swappers duty.

i like the idea of a swap for intermediate fly tiers every now and then but admit that it would be hard to identify who is an intermediate fly tyer. they are out there and they participate in swaps. i have received some remarkable flies in some of the swaps ive participated in.

I dont like the idea of "invitation only" fly swaps as this sends a message (at least to me) to tyers that you may not be good enough to join that swap or that you will only accept flies from tyers that you know.

international swaps are a little different and i dont mean that in a bad way. international swappers are always welcome. its just the currency exchange, the paperwork, they cant send a self addressed stamped envelope and sometimes the lack of a return envelope and postage. I'm unsure of what size envelope or swap box to use when sending to canada. can i send a vcr box in an appropriate sized envelope? and yes i have paid the return postage for some swappers. send a few extra flies and i'm OK with the return postage. :)

and lets not forget about the SM's who have in the past run away with the swappers flies and heve not been heard of since. i think this happened on here recently.

so lets remember that its not just the swappers who are at fault!

i wrote this awhile ago. it may be relevant, maybe

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/2011/03/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html?m=1

thats enough for now

good luck in future swaps ;)

I have wrestled with how to reply to this thread. The entire purpose of a swap is to have fun and exchange some flies with others. I enjoy seeing how other people use different materials and methods. Sometimes I think we take this too seriously.

I have experienced a lot of different attitudes swapping. Most have been great. I find it troubling when a participant tells me how to run a my swap though. One of the most demanding and critical tiers I have experienced in swaps, some of their PM's were demanding and almost harassing, ties large poorly constructed heads and flies and never includes extras. I would have thought more from a perfectionist.

Everyone was a beginner once. They are ALL welcome in a swap I host. I hope that you improve by seeing how others tie and that you make some good aquaitances or friends here. Some of the best looking and coolest ties I have received in swaps, never catch fish. I keep fishing some cause the look so perfect. Some of the simplest ties are real fish producers. Some people tye less than their best flies at times because something real happened in their life and they are trying to balance their real life with getting something to the SM on time. I never even paid it any mind until I saw that as a reason why someone else didn't want to be a SM any more.

I look at people who miss deadlines and don't send flies differently. If you PM me I will wait weeks because you have had a problem. I look at did you ever do this before. What I always remember is that this is a chat board about fly tying, it isn't a persons family, health or job. I'd even let the demanding pain in the butt in a swap when I do another swap. Hope his heads get better though.

Troutguy,

Thank your for the attitude reset. You're absolutely right on all counts. This is fun, not life. We live to learn.

I wanted to say that it is in the purview of the Swap Meister to give feedback to the swap participants. But I realized that this is my opinion - I can easily see where others may not feel the same way and would take offense.

My new philosophy for hosting:

1. Accept any tyers in a swap (unless a private, invite-only swap).

2. Encourage, encourage, encourage, encourage, tyers to be on time.

3. If the due date approaches and I receive a PM from a late tyer, inform the group and wait a reasonable time. (maybe even ask the group's opinion on how long)

4. If the due date approaches and no flies or PM from a tyer, proceed without them.

5. Accept that there might be postage shortages, which are usually offset by the (generous) extra flies.

6. Do all I can do to make the swap successful (ie. COMPLETED, FUN and ENJOYABLE for ALL).

Thank you.

Jimboha!

PS Now if I can just think of a fun theme, it's time to host another swap!

You are welcome Jim.

I like this quote and it really pertains to the swappers here. After they sign up I can not control them. If it angers me that they let the swap down I have to wonder why would I possibly care and be angry? "And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation -- some fact of my life -- unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. "

Sometimes its easy to get caught up, but then I remember to accept and go with the flow.

I think that the SM needs to have the power to remove people that do not reply by say 7 to 10 days before dead-line and see if any-one is interested in getting some done in that week or so to make the dead-line.

I think the SM should EXERCISE the power to remove such people! If the policy is stated in the swap description, complainers have no basis.

I think my next swap will allow a couple extra swappers. For example 14 swappers (plus SM) but only tie 12 flies. If fewer show up by the deadline, then everyone still gets 12 (maybe with some duplicates). If ALL 14 show up, everyone gets a random collection of 12 unique flies.

Don't know, that sounds strange. But I do think if we're getting down to the wire and haven't heard from some swappers, then they are kicked out. Perhaps there needs to be a certain minimum of messages back and forth before someone can get a spot on the list. Just 1 for trusted swappers, more for "unknowns". Perhaps a PM for contact info?

Jimboha!

Droppers and slackers, but then again I think Ive been guilty once of being late. Then theres the disappearing flies. I live in Eastern Idaho and I got a feeling theres a fly stealing member in the postal service. Ive had 3 sets of flies disappear from the mail here in the last year and a half. I actually went to the postmaster and threatened to open an investigation if one more package of mine disappeared. so far my Christmas came and went with no events but I am still pretty wary

Droppers and slackers, but then again I think Ive been guilty once of being late. Then theres the disappearing flies. I live in Eastern Idaho and I got a feeling theres a fly stealing member in the postal service. Ive had 3 sets of flies disappear from the mail here in the last year and a half. I actually went to the postmaster and threatened to open an investigation if one more package of mine disappeared. so far my Christmas came and went with no events but I am still pretty wary

Totally agree with you in your assumptions about the Postal Service as i have also had it happen more times then i care to admit..Also when they lose your Flies then you are the one who looks bad for not getting your Flies in on time..So once you find out they are gone then you Re-Tie Flies and try to do so in a Hurry which then in turn hurts the quality of the Fly..But i have also pretty much dropped out of swapping as like so many other Health problems have been a issue.. Can i tie a Fly as good as i could 20 years ago?? The answer would be NO.. Reason being is 20 years ago i had not had Open Heart Surgery..My hands were not all deformed from Gout and Arthritis..Let alone the fact that it is now harder to even keep the hands from shaking so much..I am sure there are many others who feel the same way and i know that there are many yet that will find out in the near future..But does that diminish my desire to tie the best fly i can?? NOT IN ANY WAY... Who am i to judge who has put effort into the flies they have tied?? I just recently lost a very good friend who taught me how to tie and was one of the best tiers i have ever saw and it was sad to watch his quality go down hill..But what he lacked in quality i NEVER once heard him complain or gripe as he was happy just to be able to even still tie!!

I am one that also totally dislikes the Invitational Swaps as they, IN MY OPINION, tell everyone else that the flies you tie are not good enough to be in our click.. Fly Tying through the years has had enough problems as being considered Elitist and Snobby that one should do everything they can to disprove that...I now spend the little time when feeling good working with our Wounded Warriors..They don't care what a fly looks like or even if it's tied perfectly..But the smile on thier face when landing that fish for the first time is priceless...

I am one that also totally dislikes the Invitational Swaps as they, IN MY OPINION, tell everyone else that the flies you tie are not good enough to be in our click..

i am another who agrees with your statement

I appreciate the different views on this topic and it is something that needs to be shared everyonce in awhile. Thanks everyone.

Just had a couple of good swaps, though we did have one set of flies go missing in the mail... Communication is key. I've also just been involved with two swaps where there have been Co-SMs, RichMc in the first instance and Jimboha! in the second. Both have done wonders, and it's great to know that there are guys out there willing to go that extra mile.

I need to give swaps a rest at the moment though as it looks like I've somehow just taken on the organisers role for this years Hinchinbrook Flyfishing Challenge... I wasn't quick enough to step backwards when they asked for a volunteer to step forward.