Fly Tying
fdfretes

Trolling with fly rod

surface to around 30 feet down. i like to troll a surface fly with a floating line to a leadcore shooting head on momo running line for those fish down near the bottom.

Forty plus years ago I trolled for landlock or Sebago salmon up in New Hampshire and Maine. It was common practice to use a level floating line, with about 12 ft of monofilament leader scaled down to about 6 lb. test, as soon as the ice broke up. After that we spooled our fly reels with wire line which put the fly down to depths of 30 to 50 feet to reach the fish. We use either tamdem hooked trolling flies (Grey Ghost, Supervisiors, Nine-Threes, etc) or light weight Mooselook Wabbler spoons. These were glass rods back in those days and the reels we used were generally Pfluger Medalists (1495 1/2 or larger). We would troll up to three rods or lines at a time and would very seldom ever get a tangled mess. A fly line will turn in a much wider arc than mono type lines so you will need to troll it as an outside rod verses one set between mono lines. I would recommend that you use a slow to moderate rod and stay away from a fast style rod if you are going to troll a lot. I hope this is a help to you-Phil

I've been known to drop a line w/my flyrod and "troll" as i paddle my kayak or canoe around a lake.....

Mike

Yes, if it is necessary to row to a new spot, it nor as boring if you cast a line out and pull it behind the boat. The biggest fish I had this way was a 26 pound "Siberian trout" (taimen). I was using a huge deer-fur mouse and 2-handed rod. This fish is often "killing" the fly with its tail before it makes a turn and swallows the stunned "mammal"...

post-34261-0-91040800-1356607011_thumb.jpg

I have a Pflueger 1558 spooled with braided copper line that was designed for trolling streamers. It is about six inches across. At ice out on a seven to nine weight rod this was the way to catch large trout and salmon. It sits on a bookshelf now. I still troll from a kayak. I use a rod holder and either my seven weight Fenwick or a nine weight Payne graphite. I troll for Stripers inland or Blues along the coast. I would never use the old Pflueger in the salt, but during the winter and summer when the Stripers are deep I wonder how the copper line would work.

This is not mine, but is exactly what I have. I never looked how cheap these reels are. Pretty cheap way to get into fly trolling.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pflueger-1558-Sal-Trout-Reel-in-box-satin-finish-copper-line-/330848158895?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d081644af.

Does it matter at what angle the fly rod is at when you troll? I've read somewhere (not sure now) that the rod should not be perpendicular to the line.

So with trolling a fly reel, would you palmer the reel the whole time or ...

no, set the drag for whatever it's worth--- the amount of stretch in a fly line is remarkable.