Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Couple of articulates streamers

I was playing around last week with an articulated streamer idea. I basically added a deer hair head to an articulated Strolis Ice Pick instead of the Fish Skull/Laser Yarn head in the original. Haven't fished it yet but I think it will do well.

DSC_0039.jpg

Then last night, after a week of no vise time (on the road for training), I did another color version

DSC_0077.jpg

Pretty simple, really. I made dubbing brushes on my brush machine of Ice Dub in the colors I wanted and used that for the underbody. Zonker strip (magnum), some rubber legs, duplicate that on the front hook and add a deer hair head with some dumbbell eyes and that's it. I also used a small amount of marabou at the junction to help make the transition between hooks look a little more seamless.

As for the training last week...I had to spend a few days in sunny Sarasota/Tampa area in Florida and not fish. I was sitting here on a stop before the airport in Tampa watching baitfish get crushed. Oh well. :(

IMG_0140.jpg

Last night I added a rust/creamy white combo.

DSC_0013-6.jpg

Hard to see here, but the dubbing brush I made was out of Minnow Belly and Rusty Brown Ice Dub blended together in the dubbing brush. It made for a creamy colored belly instead of bright white.

DSC_0032.jpg

Those look really great! I especially like the black over rust - black over purple or red would be a killer bass color combo for my box.

That was a nice Archery Deer hunt video you did this weekend; where do you get the time?

Kirk

Those look really great! I especially like the black over rust - black over purple or red would be a killer bass color combo for my box.

That was a nice Archery Deer hunt video you did this weekend; where do you get the time?

Kirk

I did that instead of sleeping. Literally. ;) I got in from the airport Friday night at 1:30AM (job training in Florida), had my alarm set for 4:00AM to get up and go film a hunt for my buddy. I was actually OK that morning, a little groggy. It was Sunday morning's 4:00AM wake up call that was rough. I nearly fell asleep in the tree Sunday waiting on daylight, then 30 minutes after sun-up he shot that deer. That woke me up!

Cream, if you don't mind me asking you, I have stacked deer hair before but how are you doing 1 color on the top and 1 on the bottom are you stacking the first without spinning it then adding the other color on the bottom after the first wrap ??

Not sure what cream does but you can stack and spin the bottom colour. Return thread through the hair and stack top colour, it won't spin cause its on the first hair. Bring thread toward, spin first colour, stack top colour. Etc etc.

Thanks Piker, thats what I was thinking but I was unsure, have only spun solid color guys so far.

@NJ, get cheap hooks and some hair to waste and start spinning, thats how I learned to spin well

Thanks Piker, thats what I was thinking but I was unsure, have only spun solid color guys so far.

@NJ, get cheap hooks and some hair to waste and start spinning, thats how I learned to spin well

For the multi-colored heads I am stacking, not spinning. I get the clump of hair where I want it, make 2 loose wraps, sort of pinch the hair with my fingers to hold it in place and cinch down tight. It flares the hair but keeps it from spinning around the hook shank. Then rotate the vise and tie in the bottom color the same way. When you get the hair bundle where you want it and sort of press down slightly on it before you cinch the thread tight, it disperses the hair pretty evenly around the shank. Hope this helps!