Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steve P

Hook sizes for panfish

Hey PJ.....I must admit that I have never used rubber legs on my 12 poppers. I still have a box full that I made back in the early 70's. Back then I got 1/4" cork cylinders from E.Hille and I used kip tail for the tails and then some hackle. I eventually eliminated the tails and just used hackle. Yes they caught a lot of fish and some bass up to 3.5#. They were basicly all I tied in those days and then I started doing some deer hair bugs. There were no trout where I lived and I still don't fish trout. I have too much fun with warmwater but I sure have a love for the salt. When I got back into FF and tying about 5 years ago somehow I got involved with craft foam and it is readily available. The spiders just fit easily into the scheme of things and they have worked very well for me and I have found them faster to tie, they never sink, and if I loose one it matters not. I also tie them on thin wire hooks and if I get hung in a tree I just pull it loose by straightening the hook or I lose it and tie on another. I seldom lose a spider though. I also almost never catch a bass on them either. Maybe I should make up a few small poppers with rubber legs and give it a whizz after all these years. I do still have all the make'ins.

I recently used a paper punch to punch 1/4" hole s in some 2mm foam and used CA to glue the small disks into a short cylinder that looks like it would make a quick to make popper that would not need to be painted and should float almost as good as my old cork poppers. I guess I need to finish up a couple to see how they work.

I always use rubber legs on mine as it a must. I use the smallest stuff i can find.

Rubber legs will keep your popper from spinning in the water from line twists.

I did make a couple of the small poppers make from the foam disks glued together. It will be a while before I will be able to try them out though. I did put legs on them. I also used some rubber legs for a tail on one as an experiment. I had never done that before.

I will say that I never noticed any twist with my old cork poppers without legs but maybe I just did not see it. Could be all the fish I caught just took out all the accumulated twist. hehehe