Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
novabass

Zelon material recommendations?

Hey guys,

I'm wanting to purchase some trailing shuck/tail Zelon material and I'm not sure what type to get. My main purpose for this is I'm planning on tying some Royal Wulff Cripples that call for brown Zelon for the tail. I know materials like Antron are similar, but I wondered if you guys had any recommendations on what I should get for this purpose?

I've seen products like Z-lon and Z-yarn, but I know nothing about them. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Go to blue ribbon fly shop and buy amber zlon, they supposedly own all the zlon according to them

I use Antron yarn as a substitute. Can't see paying the price of zlon

Many other shops selling it also

Zelon definitely looks different than Antron. You can order Zelon (sometimes listed as Z-lon) from anyone that carries Umqua Feather Merchant stuff. It is listed as Bett's Zelon. Blue Ribbon definitely has Zelon but limited supplies of the old straight Zelon. Mostly the crinkled Zelon now but I was told by one of the guys that work at Blue Ribbon that it all comes crinkled and they just iron it to straighten it out. I tried it and it worked fine. I think the Bett's stuff comes straightened still.

Regards,

Jed

According to Blue Ribbon Flies, Z-lon will float, while antron doesn't. I haven't had any problems using antron materials for shucks. I use the antron material that used to come in the "core" of the crystal braid. I have used other poly yarns as well. I do have a few packs of Z-lon, but I haven't really tested it out against the other materials. For the money, I would say the Dungeons stuff would be fine. Other opinions may be different.

psst, a single strand of krystal will work as a shuck

and grizzly hackle tip or fibers

coq de leon fibers