Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

Whip Finish direction (Amanda--)

Since it came up in the "whip finish" post, here are a couple pics showing how the direction the knot is tied makes a big difference. I used fly line so the wraps are completely visible.

First is what I consider to be the best way, with the wraps made TOWARD the hook eye, which leaves the tag end secured under all the wraps. There is not much chance of anything coming loose.

post-10077-0-95979900-1355190047_thumb.jpg

Next is a whip tied with the wraps going back AWAY from the hook eye. When the knot is drawn up, the tag end forms an "overlap" across all the wraps. Very difficult to get it tightened sufficiently and much more susceptible to failure.

post-10077-0-81361500-1355190056_thumb.jpg

Yes I know head cement or glue makes any knot stronger, but I'd rather do it the best way I can.

Hope this helps.

It is how the wraps are laid which is important, not whether it is done by hand or with a tool.

I originally learned as a kid how to whip finish by hand, and didn't own a whip finish tool for over 25 years. These days I use a whip tool as well as my fingers, depending on what I want, or how I feel at the moment.

Good stuff, thank you. Its a lot more visible with that big fly line, than with a tiny 70 d thread. I never realized or knew that.

Thanks much for the pics, they do show the story.

Amanda