Fly Tying
eastern fly

swap intrest

Ok its been a while since I hosted a swap. Would there be any interest in a Intruder swap. I want to get into steelhead fishing and this would give me good pattern ideas for them.

Kevin

I know looking on this forum the hook sizes are often 1 or 2 size. Are you looking for flies this size or are you happy with a range?

Have you any idea of swap numbers or just waiting on interest?

I'm kinda tempted, I will watch this space.

I don't think there will be size clause. If someone sent something larger than my area I can downside. Numbers someplace between 8 and 12. Also if there's enough interest to have a due date at the end of February.

Kevin

the size 2 and 4 octopus hooks are my favourite for steelhead, attached to fireline to your shank.

I successfully used some 'mini- truders' for pink salmon this year perhaps flies up to around 7cm long, really effective and the takes on the mini- truders you could not mistake.

I'd be in for sure, absolutely love these flies! Only issue is when you would do the swap, i am leaving the country in Feb for a good 2 months. So no tying.

Hmmz here are some of my most effective ones...

This is more a mobile ESL design, steelhead like it a LOT

PA192028.jpg

PA192038.jpg

These sparse types are also killer.

PA021971.jpg

PA021973.jpg

Great Success in BC this year using ones with a small bead on the fireline. Got to witness a steelhead change from dosile ghost finning away almost invisibly still to a killer and pounce from about 10m away to kill one of these. Incredible to watch.

P6151618.jpg

Big meaty/ non sparse ones work well.

P6121602.jpg

This one was made with EP Anadromous brush.

PB090820copy.jpg

Blue Brush.

PB090819copy.jpg

I guess not 'real intruders' but variations on the theme, all very effective.

*edit* shit maybe not swap for me, i am using materials banned in USA

Been getting into 'intruder speys' at the moment

PB052036.jpg

Yep, Riff i didn't think about that. Heard polar bear is not a good idea to ship either? That one you sent me is in my most excellent box B) The wife thinks you should patent it and we should produce the box commercially.

I am sure i can grab some Rhea or do some with alternatives tho!

It is ingenious! And i probably should not talk about it in public but we did have an idea...I will pm instead :ph34r:

It is just a great idea, if i could buy that as a product i would.

oh just jump you know you want to say it Hi my name is Collin and I'm a swapaholic

Or Colin ;)

I just don't want to commit till im sure I can fit it in. If I land new job I will have spell of Uni work to get done.

Hey hallo Easternfly!

That's a good idea! I normally make intruders with a waddington shank up front and an upsidedown hook on a string.

I would love to participate in such a swap, if you take European tiers. You know that I am Dutch.

Love to hear from you again!

Greets

Sjo

Sjo it would be nice to have you. Jam I like your spey variation. I have been looking at some of then also. Just haven't figured out how to tye them yet. I will give it a few more days before I start the official post for the swap. Thanks for the interest. Riff you have a pm coming from me.

Kevin

I haven't fly fished for steelhead yet..but I may want in on the swap. I love tying intruders. Ill see how it shakes out.

And Riff..I want to hear more about this secret box :unsure: