Fly Tying
1hook

What color to use for trailing shuck?

I was wondering what colors are used for trailing shucks? And more importantly how do you pick out the color. I want to buy some antron or z Lon but not sure what to get with the complexity of all the colors they offer!

Many trailing shucks appear orange or amber color. I have had good success with very light tan as well.

Two points to consider. Te shuck of the natural will be the same colour or lighter than the nymph of the natural. Of course that depends on the natural you are imitating. Trailing shucks are usually a feature on emergers. They are viewed from below so the light is coming from above. Being empty the chitin will not form as solid or as dark a shape as the nymph before eclosion. That brings me on to my second point.

Some believe that the colour of the imitation doesn't matter. Saying it is viewed against a light sky, photography seems to support this, BUT the eye has a far higher dynamic range than a camera film or sensor. That leads me to think that colour is a "key" but only a minor one.

As long as your shuck is a natural colour, not a bright one, I think you will be okay. What I use is fine synthetic yarn from off white through cream, tan, and light brown to dark brown.

If I want a shuck on a "hanging emerger" pattern (the Klinkhamer being the best known example of what I call a hanging emerger) then I have a very simple method. I select a length of yarn and tie an overhand knot in it. Tie it in before the body like you would a tail. Pull it through the wraps a little further than the size of shuck you want. The knot marking the end of the shuck. Take hold of a couple of strands of your yarn the other side (eye side) of the tie in point and pull them back just a touch. This will belly the yarn, giving it more bulk. Trim off the yarn just the other side of the knot. If you want tails on your shuck leave two or three strands longer.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

C.

An easy way to collect shucks is to use an aquarium net during a hatch.

The ones I have found are a shade of amber. Amber is a mixture of orange and yellow.

This is amber from Wikipedia.

FFBE00.png

This is amber from an art paint. It has more of an orange with brown, and the color is more saturated.

Amber.gif

I use this material. Not antron or zelon but a craft yarn. When unraveled and wet it is the correct shade.

I use it for mayflies and also for the shuck for the X-caddis emerger pattern. I gave some to my friend and it worked great for him as well.

Goldyarn.jpg

I use this yarn in white for parachute posts.

WhiteCYarn.jpg