Fly Tying
flytyinfreak

Salmonfly dry, June is right around the corner boys!

I am looking around for a good pattern. I looked at a few and said NOPE, not good enough. Again im working with a fly I have not worked with.

Kevin

I have a book by skip Morris and he has 4 patterns he quotes for the salmon stonefly so try searching under him?

with a due date that far off Ross I will join in if I am good enough

Now THATS funny Paul.

Kevin

You got that right Kev, Im smilin fo sho! That makes it 7!

right on Jaydub, Pleased to have you, you finish it out and do it in style! Boys we got us a bonafide salmonfly tyin bad boy right here! go do a pattern search for stonefly dries and you'll see what I mean.

How about Kyle's King Kong (Salmonfly) in Tiemco 200R #4 (ie. 3XL 2X strong)? This one is a prototype, but it's looking good, lands right, and floats and floats and floats.

post-37740-0-24662300-1357804665_thumb.jpg

Jimboha!

"gussy it up" - add underwing (and/or flash), eyes, space the three clumps of deer hair out a bit towards the back. This foam body was hand-cut, still waiting for my larger foam body cutter...

Other suggestions? This is the biggest (dry) fly I've tied, I'm not used to having so much blank canvas.

Jimboha!

ok I got to sit down to the vise this morning and try to tie a bug I wanted to imitate that magical time when the salmonfly lays its eggs this fly floats well but floats low in the surface film I hope this is acceptable

post-10925-0-82740600-1357837019_thumb.jpg

the fishes view looking up

post-10925-0-89449600-1357837276_thumb.jpg

I think it looks good as is. Them stone flies are all body and legs.

But wait, he actually said "Big and Nasty", not "Big and Tasty"! Prepare yourselves for Gussied-up King Kong! No more previews, I want you to be surpized and amazed when you get them! [insert evil laughter here]

Jimboha!

I think it looks good as is. Them stone flies are all body and legs.

But wait, he actually said "Big and Nasty", not "Big and Tasty"! Prepare yourselves for Gussied-up King Kong! No more previews, I want you to be surpized and amazed when you get them! [insert evil laughter here]

Jimboha!

Jimboha, there weren't no "and' in the name of my fly, although that might work too. its called "the big nasty" its actually an articulated dry, lots of orange and black, legs and wing. Its a proven salmonfly hatch trout attractor. You guys will enjoy it for sure.