Fly Tying
dvs

Hook organization? Wondering how others deal with all these little pa

I was wondering what everyone else does with all the little hook boxes that make up a collection. Short of putting up peg board and hanging them like the shops do, so far the best I could come up with is these boxes made for bead collectors. $5 at walmart. They have 32 sections and each will easily hold 100 Hooks, if not 25 - 50 of the larger sizes. The bottoms are rounded to make scooping out the hooks a simple task. Also I cut the label off the package and stick it to the back wall of the section so I have all the info and brand should I need to replace.

post-19089-0-62933800-1358910394_thumb.jpg

Thoughts? Sugestions? Happy to hear what you have to say.

Clint

Not a bad way to store hooks. I have used similar methods but I found (at least with the boxes I was using) the hooks had a tendency to jump over into other compartments. I ended up using bead storage containers from the craft store:

post-45233-0-29547200-1358910816_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-88266900-1358910823_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-11652700-1358910831_thumb.jpg

The containers are called "EZ View Storage system" and I think they are $7-8 each. I have two filled to the brim about to start working on my third. I use permanent marker to write the hook brand, size and number on each compartment, if you wanted to get fancy you could use stickers or a label from a label maker, although I have yet to have any of the marker rub off on me.

The only problem with those boxes is that one drop is going to result in one hell of a mess.

I go with the large size pill boxes with individual lids. If the letters for the day of the week on the lid bother you just wipe them off with a little acetone.

Love these ideas! I agree about the shifting although I've not had any issues since I basicly never move it but I'm sure it'll happen someday.

Clint

I use boxes from Hobby Lobby which have 14 compartments, each compartment has its own lid. Each compartment will hold at least 100 hooks, up to about size 8. It only costs about $4 or $5 per box, and I mark the hook specs on each lid. I don't use many hooks over size 8, so I just leave those in their original box and store them in a drawer.

Oh by the way Bassmouth, here's a screen shot of the travel tying station I'm working on in 3D at the moment. the inner box moves up to sit on the lid (shows one in each spot but there's only one) this is just a rough prototype.

I actually have one that's changed quite a bit for the better, but this gives you the idea. Will post the updated one when I get it looking the way I have envisioned.

post-19089-0-11025200-1358912370_thumb.jpg

Clint

Also, a Hobby Lobby type solution. These are Craft Mates locking boxes. A set comes with 7 of the 4-compartment (individually locking, non-floating, curved bottom) containers. Each container will then fit into the tray that holds the 7 containers. I also use the 14 compartment ones, but these are nice because I can uproot a small set of hooks and take them with me.

8407750358_321d585024.jpg

I keep them in their original packaging, stacked neatly by brand, size and type, in a plastic bin. It's the only way I've found that lets me keep track of what I actually have.

When I demo tie, I do have a small plastic box I got from Bass Pro Shop that has 12 compartments that I put a few of my most commonly used hooks in, but I still keep my backups in their original packaging until they are needed.

Spirit River has a box that IMHO is perfect for storing hooks. The lid closes tight so that if you dropped it, the hooks will not "jump" over the divider into the next section. Just google spirit river pro hook box.

I was wondering what everyone else does with all the little hook boxes that make up a collection. Short of putting up peg board and hanging them like the shops do, so far the best I could come up with is these boxes made for bead collectors. $5 at walmart. They have 32 sections and each will easily hold 100 Hooks, if not 25 - 50 of the larger sizes. The bottoms are rounded to make scooping out the hooks a simple task. Also I cut the label off the package and stick it to the back wall of the section so I have all the info and brand should I need to replace.

attachicon.gifHook_box.jpg

Thoughts? Sugestions? Happy to hear what you have to say.

Clint

I thought about something like that. If I did use a box like that, I personally would glue a small magnet in each compartment incase I did drop it :)

Actually I had another look at my box I posted orginally, if you look at the lid it has channels cut into it. I flipped it upside down and shook it, no no mix at all!

I'm not concerned about mixing, what happens when it gets knocked off the desk accidentally while the lid's open? That is why i went with individual lids. If you have pretty good dexterity and no kids or pets running around then you may be safe.