Fly Tying

I have two rods made for 7 weight line and one for a 4 weight. I want to use the 4 for trout in streams. One of the 7 weights I want to use for Northern Pike and maybe Walleye in a lake near here.

Here is where it gets iffy: I would like to mess around a little with the other 7 weight. I have heard that you can put a line one larger or one smaller on most any rod. The rod I want to mess around with is an Orvis all-rounder. What I would like to do is put an 8 weight line on it to be able to go a little bigger in the flies I cast. The reason for this is I want to try for Striped Bass in Maine when I go there in June.

Is this absolutely crazy? As you can see, I am a total newbie at this.

The rod is weighted so with head of WF line outside tip the rod is loaded properly. If you put an 8on a 7 and try to have the full head outside the rod tip it will over load the rod and you loose distance. But if you are a newbie or it is windy the 8 will load the rod faster with less out the tip and you can 'feel' the rod loading more easily than if you use the 7. The heavier line will turnover slightly bushier flies but you may lose distance ultimately.

I agree with Piker with one exception. I have built a lot of rods and he quality control and specifications are like fly hooks. They vary from hook to hook. If I were to change lines and tapers I would do it on the Orvis as he quality is probably better, but maybe not.

You may have to experiment a bit. But that's part of the fun. Piker, should I tell him about "common cents". Olaf, that will get you thinking. Love the fur post by the way.

"Common cents" is a system used (particularly by rodbuilders) to verify the actual line rating and action of a rod or blank. The weight standard used is the US "penny" (copper), hence 'common cents.'

Regardless, I have a 2pc Orvis All Rounder. All I can say is "good luck" with an 8wt line on that rod. Sure, you can cast a shorter length of an 8wt line and try to shoot a bit to get some reach. Or you could match it up with an 8wt shooting head and running line -- just trim back the rear of the head until you reach the upper realistic limit for the rod. The thin running line will be the only section traveling through the guides.

The All Rounder is one of the early graphite models on the market, going back to the mid-70s. The low modulus graphite and taper in that rod is much different than what dominates the market today. These 1st gen Orvis rods were designed around Orvis' history with cane and glass, and the action and power is closer to those materials than it is to today's graphite. They're good rods. they're very durable, and they're fun in their own right. But they just don't have the balls for carrying heavier lines.

Bugsy

There is nothing like bamboo. I am working on my first. Iam not familiar with the all arounder but that makes sense. Whats your pups name? I have one well schooled to fish with me and a 8 month old puppy. They are both in the bed with me now and iam checking out too. Y'all be safe and have a Blessed week.

The Don aka Don Theodoro Augustino DeMatteo it's Irish;)

Probably not. If I remember right they tend to school. I think if you target them from a boat it would be okay. But if you get in the surf you need to be ready for anything. I am in the Gulf of Mexico so some toothy critter could make a run. I bet there is some good info on the web regarding Maine.

So is it realistic to hope to land a Striped Bass on a 7 weight?

It's realistic to land a striped bass on a four weight, if you've got enough backing for the long runs.

So is it realistic to hope to land a Striped Bass on a 7 weight?

Of course it is. I've caught a ton of stripers on 7wts. Some of the guys I fish with use 6wts when conditions permit. It depends entirely what kind of water you're fishing, what kinds of flies you're using, and how much control you'll need to bring in the fish. If you're fishing quiet bays, rivers, etc., with smaller baitfish imitations, a 7wt is ideal. If you're gonna be throwing bigger flies in heavy surf, among the rocks, etc., the heavier the rod the better. I use a 12wt most of the time under those conditions. Trying to drag a sizable fish through a weedy boulder field with the surf surging through it is next to impossible with a light rod. You're either going kill the fish, break your tippet, or worse yet, break your rod. It's all about the rod having enough backbone to control the situation. If you stick to milder conditions, you'll do fine with a 7wt. Assuming of course, you can find some fish. From what I've been hearing from the guys I know up there, it won't be easy.

BTW - my current 7wt is a 10' Orvis that's set up with a #8 Orvis multi-tip line. I use the intermediate tip most of the time, and it casts like the proverbial rocket with no problems whatsoever.

Thanks everyone, I'll tell you all how it goes! After your advice, I've decided to stick with a 7 weight line on the Orvis.