Fly Tying
RichK

6/0 vs. 8/0 Thread?

All in all there is no useful system for sizing thread for fly tying. Get several different threads, find one you like to work with and stick to it. The wider the range you try, the more informed your decision becomes. Sorry its a learning curve you need to go through. No short cuts.

BINGO!! well said

And another thing you might find out you will like different makers for different applications

Yup.

I agree, start out with 6/0, but sooner or later you'll add the 3/0, 8/0, 12/0, flat waxed nylon, etc., etc. Thread is cheap, but not if you try to buy all of it at one time. Get what you need for right now, and then add a spool here and there as you go along. Tying flies is a lifetime project, so don't get in a hurry.

I've recently started using 8/0 UNI thread. I love it. It's a lot thinner than what I'm used to, but the heads of my flies are a lot neater now, and it feels all round better to tie with than the thicker thread I was using before

Wavey......I use a lot of uni as well but you should try the Danville's Flymaster 6/0. It is a flat thread untwisted and it will really make nice smooth heads and such.