Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
KourtJestr

Dragonfly imitations and trout and bass?

I am just starting fly tying and fly fishing and I was just wondering if anyone in here has much luck with dragonfly imitations for trout and bass? Especially in the New England region of the US, as that's where I'm located. I've come up with a few patterns and thought I'd see if anyone knew how well dragons worked before cranking out more of them to fill my sad winter hours of no fishing.

I also did one in black and blue with legs, that pic might come up later. Let me know what you think... If there's enough interest, I'll submit the pattern to the database with instructions.

post-22-1105543568.jpg

I fish adult dragon fly imitations all the time for large and smallmouth bass. I actually have a pattern in the database called "enter the dragon" when I tie it in blue I call it "damsal if you do damsal if you don't". I actually have 2.0 versions of the fly with twisted bodies that I would like to post. Just haven't had the time.

I love fishing them they are really effective on some big bull bluegills that I catch in some strip queries...I like the fly but I haven't had much success myself with sinking adult dragons...they seem to like em floating..makes sense though.

Good luck!

I have a pattern for you. I've fished it for years and years. Everyone that fished it came back to order more. Tied it in three olive green shades. Its simple and so effective.

Hook, 6 3xl, body olive green chenille [tied well past the shanks back] from light to dark shades. Hackle, two turns pheasant rump feather. [ The feathers at the end of the rump.] Keep the hackle barbules few on ea side -pick out some hackles . Say five or so on ea side. Get it wet and make sure the fly is upright. not on its side when you strip it in. Strip in soft short jerks. or can be trolled. The body can be tied fat in the first part of the year then slim its body as the season progresses. lighten up the color of body as season goes on, but all colors fish during the season. If I don't get hits I'll change colors and check to see if it is upright. Let me know how you do. Its called the dragon fly nymph. Origin WA

I fish it for trout, browns, triploids.

Adult Dragon and Damselfly imitations work well wherever the naturals occur. I'd been told this over and over but didn't test it until last season and MAN was I surprised at how effective they are!

I tie mine out of craft foam. If you look hard enough there are a lot of foam colors in the the craft stores. If I want to get a bit flashy, I'll apply the appropriate transfer foil to the foam. The tail I tie using a foam strip folded over a needle. It's a trick I learned from Bill Skilton, and once you get it down its very quick to do. For the bodies, for damsels just an extension of the tail, bottom part wrapped on the hook. The top part extends past the hook eye, and is folded back over eyes made out of small foam cylinders and the wings. For dragon flies I use punched out foam circles for the body. Craft foam will absorb water so I treat the flies with something like Water Shed to keep them floating.