Fly Tying
Woodinfliezz

9wt line on 8wt rod????

what are the draw backs possible problems or issues i might encounter trying this set up /???? just curoius because im about to pick up an 8wt rod for striper season and found some orvis line for half off just curious on the issues thanks guys appreciate any and all info

Over-lining generally makes real long casts harder, but real short casts easier. It will also make a fast stiff rod seem more soft. However, results will vary with different rods because there is no standard for determining the weight of a rod. So the marked weight on the rod is a +/- guestimation.

Over-lining generally makes real long casts harder, but real short casts easier. It will also make a fast stiff rod seem more soft. However, results will vary with different rods because there is no standard for determining the weight of a rod. So the marked weight on the rod is a +/- guestimation.

I am not an expert by any stretch so I tread cautiously here. I have heard that over linening by one wt. is sometimes helpful and makes loading the rod easier therefore making casting easier especially if you are casting heavier flies. Furthermore I think you are mistaken about the lack of standards concerning rod weight. I would defer to you or anyone who could somehow point us to some definitive proof to illustrate this point. I have read articles and seen videos that refer to industry standards concerning rod construction so I am a little suspicious of your claim to the contrary. Again, I am not an expert but maybe someone on here or over at the rod building forum could help clear up this question. I would be interested to find out the facts.

The best way to find out is to try it. All rods are different to some extent, as are lines. If a trial's not practical, you probably would be OK. I use a #8 multi-tip line on my 7wt and a #10 intermediate line on my 9wt, and I've never had any problems casting, long or short. If anything, I get a little more distance, especially under adverse conditions. Most modern rods have a lot of latitude - if the price is too good to pass up, I'd probably give it a shot. Worst that can happen is you wind up selling the line.

The best way to find out is to try it. All rods are different to some extent, as are lines. If a trial's not practical, you probably would be OK. I use a #8 multi-tip line on my 7wt and a #10 intermediate line on my 9wt, and I've never had any problems casting, long or short. If anything, I get a little more distance, especially under adverse conditions. Most modern rods have a lot of latitude - if the price is too good to pass up, I'd probably give it a shot. Worst that can happen is you wind up selling the line.

Agreed.

I run a 10 wt floating on my 9wt and find that the extra load on the rod helps cut the wind a bit better.

However, I have a 4 wt that can't handle anything greater than a 4wt floating line.

So, in my opinion it is going to depend on the rod blank and the conditions you plan to fish.

I am not an expert by any stretch so I tread cautiously here. I have heard that over linening by one wt. is sometimes helpful and makes loading the rod easier therefore making casting easier especially if you are casting heavier flies. Furthermore I think you are mistaken about the lack of standards concerning rod weight. I would defer to you or anyone who could somehow point us to some definitive proof to illustrate this point. I have read articles and seen videos that refer to industry standards concerning rod construction so I am a little suspicious of your claim to the contrary. Again, I am not an expert but maybe someone on here or over at the rod building forum could help clear up this question. I would be interested to find out the facts.
I'm certainly not an expert either. All I know is what I read or what other people tell me. If it's wrong, then I'm wrong. I have seen tables that list specific grain weight ranges for 30 feet of line that determine the "weight" of a line . These weight ranges are industry standards as set by the American Fly Fishing Trade Association. To my knowledge no such industry wide standard exists to determine fly rod weight.

I therefore assume that each company makes that determination by casting each model of rod that they manufacture. If there is no standard, then the weight of line that casts "best" in a particular rod is a judgment call. "Best" is subjective. Many people overline their rods because THEIR opinion of what works "best" is obviously different from that of the rod company. At least that's how I see it.

(see link for AFFTA standards) : http://www.affta.com/member-services/industry-standards/

I hand my anglers over-lined rods regularly for night fishing where the distances are short and everything has to be done by feel instead of by sight, and it works quite well. This is a special situation, though, where we're casting point blank at fish that are almost close enough to touch. Instead of removing the existing line off of a reel, I have the luxury of just swapping out reels to get the results needed. At times I'll also hand an over-lined rod to someone really struggling with their casting timing. The resulting line/rod combination is a bit more forgiving than a crisp fast action setup for beginners...

As far as line/rod weight standards - there are/were standards developed back in the days when lines were size designated by letters instead of numbers. My first encounter with this info was in Lefty Kreh's classic FLYFISHING IN SALTWATER. publ.1974. That book was my "bible" when i took up salty fly stuff in 1976 (I first met Lefty in 1972, he was the outdoor writer then for the Miami Herald). On page 20 of the original edition there's a listing of line sizes, their weights (in grains per 30 feet), and the tolerance range for slight variations in each size. This was done by AFTMA (and I'm not sure they're even still around...). In today's world of "anything goes" and manufacturing facilities around the world, I'm not sure every rod or line manufacturer still holds closely to the originally agreed upon standards (and if there's someone in the industry currently that can shed some light on this topic I'd be glad to listen....).

Tight LInes

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

My understanding is that in this day and age the 'fast action' rod has become the desireable action so many manufacturers have rated some of thier rod by at least one line rating and some have even gone 2 line sizes under. I have a very fast 7wt that casts a 8wt line really well. It will also cast a 9wt with no complaints. I did not like it at all with a 7wt line. I also have a 9wt that a 9wt line works fine but I feel that it would probably cast a 10 well too, though I don't have a 10wt line to test this out. My 5wt works well with a 5 wt line. I have 2wt that I did not like with a 2wt WF line but it works great with a 3wt DT and I think it would be even better with a 4wt line. I learned on glass rods many years ago so maybe I like slower rods better. It apparantly depends a lot on the paticular rod. I never watch my back cast as Capt. Bob talks about above for night fishing so I do want to feel the rod load. To answer your question...if you like to feel the rod to load the 9wt will probably work great for you.

I still need a real 7wt rod and I am thinking about going to a glass rod to get a true 7wt rod. Any suggestions??

My understanding is that in this day and age the 'fast action' rod has become the desireable action so many manufacturers have rated some of thier rod by at least one line rating and some have even gone 2 line sizes under. I have a very fast 7wt that casts a 8wt line really well. It will also cast a 9wt with no complaints. I did not like it at all with a 7wt line. I also have a 9wt that a 9wt line works fine but I feel that it would probably cast a 10 well too, though I don't have a 10wt line to test this out. My 5wt works well with a 5 wt line. I have 2wt that I did not like with a 2wt WF line but it works great with a 3wt DT and I think it would be even better with a 4wt line. I learned on glass rods many years ago so maybe I like slower rods better. It apparantly depends a lot on the paticular rod. I never watch my back cast as Capt. Bob talks about above for night fishing so I do want to feel the rod load. To answer your question...if you like to feel the rod to load the 9wt will probably work great for you.

I still need a real 7wt rod and I am thinking about going to a glass rod to get a true 7wt rod. Any suggestions??

Blue Halo just came out with a 7/8 blank that looks pretty interesting. I'm thinking about picking one up to try my hand at building a rod.

http://bluehalogear.com/?page_id=7

the "line wt" conversation is all relative

you have to think that there is a recommended grain wt window for each blank... so it is not exact

line manufactures have a certain grain window tolerance for each line... it can be up to 25 grains on identical lines

then each line model (taper and head length) line will vary.... a short head vs long taper vs XYZ

Some lines (GPX) are even produced to be up to a full line wt heavier than marked

then it depends on the fly you are using... throwing a dry fly on 5wt is a lot different than a 6in streamer on a 5wt

so its all about finding a good match for your casting style, style of fishing, and rod

the line wt designation is made to help the make it easier.... but it should not be the end all

The only way to determine a rods TRUE weight is to get ahold of the CCS data. It was extremely disappointing to find out I was duped into a "fast" action rod which was in fact very simply a moderate action rod that was labeled one or two weights lighter than it really was...(it was labeled as a fast action 6 weight that actually tested out at a moderate 7 weight)

awesome :) thanks guys i think i messed up though i got an 8wt reel and orvis 9wt intermediate line ohh well hopefully i can replace said reel for a 9wt when it comes in i hope any way or is the 9wt on the 8wt reel ok as long as i dont load it with backing fully????

Wood -- most reels don't step up in single weight sizes. so don't sweat that one bit. Most companies make small, med and large reels that serve multiple line weights at each size.

Load up the line and cast it -- feel how it loads the rod.