Fly Tying
mikechell

Puxatawny Phil lied !!!

You might be from East Texas if you have been on TV more then once describing what the tornado sounded like.

You're from the UK if you're under 10years of age and don't believe the fairy tales of 4 seasons in 12 months. Surely its 2 week spells of spring winter summer winter autumn winter winter winter summer winter etc.

Winter is what a Texan calls the rainy season, never heard of spring before, Someone just flips a switch mid March and we go right to 97 degrees with 97% humidity. Then sometime in late December or January the leaves fall of the trees one day. Next day or so they are back.

In Maine, the average year consists of nine months of winter and three months of lousy skiing among the black flies. I actually had my vegetable garden freeze solid one year on Labor Day weekend. What I could never understand is why anybody settled in Maine while there was still plenty of free land available in Antarctica.

Guy's I hear you. I actually have a summer place in the Adirondacks in upstate NY. We get the l;ake effect snow and right in the snow belt. I been there when it was 40 below. And those black fly's. About mid May? They put something in the water to ty to control them but those little Bastatrds still swarm all over you. Avon skin so soft works for about 1/2 hour. The Cutters that we used in Vietnam just makes them mad and bite harder.

I hadf a friend visit on his way to Maine one year. He is a true Texan and came up in July. It was 55 with wind and drizzle. He could not believe it. I think it got worse as he hit Maine.

My Sis was with "traveling nurses" and was stationed in Hawaii. She called one day to complain because every day was the same, perfect. I guess the grass is always greener..............

Peterjay, are the Black Flys a food source for the trout? If so, what kind of pattern might be effective. I am going to come home like I have been in poison Ivy anyway, might as well make the best of it.

Theo, I'm sure trout eat them, but when the blackies are swarming, the last place you wanna be is on a trout stream. Ironically, black flies thrive in clean water so as pollution has been cleaned up, they've become more numerous. I'd imagine any dark midge would work. When I lived up there, I fished mostly streamers and confined my fishing to breezy days. Given the choice, I'd rather fish in a swarm of mosquitoes than black flies. At least mosquito bites stop itching after a day or two.

wear full netting including gloves and head piece all with elastic bands around all openings as for fly patterns a black midge size 28 or a blue midge with a peacock thorax size 28 is hard to beat in the hot summers one of my favorite fishing streams for brookies runs through a swamp and the black flies or as the locals call them noseeums are what the trout key in on and that is all we use