Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowmike

Dark hendrickson

I don't tie dries that much or fish them for that matter but am tired of not tying them. I set my mind to it this weekend and whiped up some hendricksons. Let me know your thoughts on this fly. I think it looks pretty decent for the first couple dries in about 2 years.

post-43467-0-46350800-1364220124_thumb.jpg

Don't mind my plaid comfy pants smil3dbd4d8676346.gif

Hoping to get a lot better at dries this year. Its amazing how tying about 5,000 flies this past year makes you patience grow. I hope to tie up some march brown, red quill, quill gordon, cahills, and a few others to get better.

Thanks in advance for any insight

That looks like a dun color...almost blueish if the color is right on your photo. I would tie them in a darker brown back with light highlights under in the body. Think creamy pink dubbing with a dark rib and a dark brown marker on top. The wings should likewise be dark if you are imitating the dun stage. The spinners are a rusty color.

post-35746-0-56422600-1364222667_thumb.jpg

Ditto the adding pink to the dubbing. I've found an increase in bites when fishing hendricksons that I tie mixing a light brown dubbing with a creamy pink dubbing I have... it looks odd at first glance, but it really does resemble that pinkish hue in the naturals nicely.

the proportions do look good.

Thanks guys.

I looked up the pattern and it had said to use grey or muskrat for the dubbing. I used hairlines dark great on this. I also used the white wing flank material instead of yellow. I thought the proportion was good but i wanted to be sure. I am always turning away orders for dries because i cant get the proportions to work for me. I am just tired of losing out. LOL plus i never fish dries. I am always nymphing and need a change of pace.

I just learned today that the hendrickson has the pink/brown look about it. To think I have been lied to for ever. Will be tying up dries some more this week and will submit them for you to review. Thanks for all of the helpful insight. I will be purchasing some comparadun material as well, and a few quill bodies soon, and maybe a few new necks. I am hoping to improve on my dry fly tying and fishing skills.

Any good recipes for hand tied dry fly leaders?

Hendrickson colors vary quite a bit.

I remember when I first started tying, I read about Art Flicks's Hendrickson pattern using the pink urine stained underbelly fur from a female (vixen) red fox. In my early tying days I followed patterns to the "T" and bought a female red fox pelt for the pale pink urine stained underbelly fur.

IMGP2899.jpg

Tups4.jpg

hendrickson.jpg

Unfortunately the natural looked nothing like it. Our E. Subvaria the natural did not look like this

picture_1693_large.jpg

But this

picture_2949_large.jpg

Great fly and proportions. A great fly in SW Wisconsin. As others mentioned, the colors can vary greatly from stream to stream -- you'd almost swear the were different bugs.

This is my Hendrickson wet fly. Down and across to risers on the swing. Just spot 'em and swat 'em on a tight line.

post-47768-0-57811900-1364421763_thumb.jpg