Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

UV Beer Belly bucktail

I tied this for the bass in my local park that feed on little minnows, I know its on a SS hook but I just like that hook in case I want to use it in the salt. This is the first one, I'm sure I'll find a way to embelish it markers on the next one. It tracks hookpoint up with a slow ticking strip but rolls and rocks a little with a faster strip, I think I may try putting a tiny bb in under the eyes to try and remedy that.

DSC_0272-1_zpscf2f3b2b.jpg

Pike, I reverse tied in some white Congo, pulled it back and tied off for a tail and pulled it up to make a loop and act as the form for the UV to make the belly. I saturated with some thin Solarez and came in and filled it with some Thick/gel Solarez and sprinkled with fine glitter and came back with another coat of thin; tied the wing, put eyes and used a couple coats of resin to formt he head. It tracks nicely, hook point up, when ticked along slowly, a fast strip will make it roll and rock a little. I may try putting a little bb in under the eyes to see if I can remedy that.te it here.

Kirk

Very nice. I have never made a fly in that style before and i think that it would be a good walleye fly for opener here in northern Minnesota.The only revers hook flies that i have used have been clousers. I like using clousers, but want something that doesnt dive quite as fast.

Pike, the Bendback is a hook point up fly, you should find some good examples if you google. Also, on your Clousers, if you use beadchain, or even the tiney beadchain, it won't dive as fast.

Kirk

thanks for the help. Some times i feel that the broader profile might work better than the slim clouser. I also needed a new idea for some streamers.

If you use beadchain in place of the lead a slower sink will result. You will also find them much more pleasant to cast. Beadchain is available in at least 3 sizes. I mostly use the medium but the large "plumbers chain" works well especially on larger flies and the small is great for small flies such as something that be used on pan fish. It works well on buggers too as well as other stuff that needs weight. Carp flies is a prime fly to use beadchain. I use brass and I paint some of it black and other colors.

That guy is lookin' good, just like me with that beer belly. I did something like that last year, I used a glass rattle in the 'belly'. Add a bb or two and you will be in biz.

Kirk, What eyes are you useing?

Hey ditz, you're right, I use beadchain alot as well and even the solid brass non-toxic eyes that Pat over at Cascade sells when I want to go lighter than lead dumbells. What I was talking about is using a single #8 shotshell lead bb. I use various shotshell sized bbs in many of my topwater minnows to give them balast, works great. Although the shells are harder to find these days but I just get a few of different sizes from hunter friends.

Kirk