Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

1st Popper Attempt

I finally got some tying stuff and tried a popper first. It's not all that great but I look forward to improving.user posted image

Looks great man! I would suggest adding a few wraps of hackle right behind the popper, it adds a little more body to the fly while hiding the thread wraps for the tail wink.gif

Not bad at all sherman. Just like Will said a few turns of hackle really helps dress it up some and hide the tie in point. Heres a pic of one Chris tied with the hackle wrap behind the body so you can see what Will meant.

user posted image

That is a nice first attempt, I would like to see you dress the bucktail and flash by holding it in place---by pinching the material when you wind---also it does not look as if you have enough wraps on the material---this may cast loose or cause casting accuracy problems. The suggestion of adding a few turns of hackle just behing the popper is top notch additionally----it looks neater and will help the fly cast better. Keep up the work---practise, practise, practise. wink.gif

Now your hooked. Better get out the wallet. If my wife only knew how much money I've spent on dead animals. bugeyes.gif biggrin.gif

Just kidding. Good job..the popper looks great.

You're good to go with all of the above. Good first effort, now go fish it and let them little fishys be the final judges.

Marty,

As you can see the materials want to rotate in the direction of the wraps. (that's why they ended up on the back-side of the popper. There's several ways to remedy this. 1. You can compesate by tying the material from a lower point and then drawing it tight with the thread until it's centered. 2. Use a good thread base for a foundation. This will reduce slippage. (That should be done on most patterns)

3. Add small little clumps of material at a time and position them until the entire circumference of the hook is covered.

What the hell are you tying bass baits for anyway? Have you lost your ****ing mind? bs.gif You're not one of THEM are you... dunno.gif

I'm sure John will help you out over the next few weeks. If you want to come over this way a couple of evenings, that's cool too. wink.gif

Oh yeah, what the others said...

Give me a call Marty. I'll PM my # in case you don't have it. I have your old Cell #

I can hook you up with a bunch of material and give you a few pointers! I'll be tying, watching football and drinking beer Sunday.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

What the hell are you tying bass baits for anyway? Have you lost your ****ing mind?  You're not one of THEM are you... 
I thought we were going south to go bass fishing j_k.gif

Airhead, I'll give you a call and see if we can hook up soon.

Good first popper sherman! Now comes the tricky part: fishing them effectively. I still can't string together an entire single retrieve of "bloop-bloop-bloop"! That's a subcategory of my focus on bass this season.