Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyFishin'Jam

Substitutions?

In particular, what is a good sub for 'orange macaw breast feather' same with red?

Just having issues with a couple of nice flies.

Anyone have a kick ass supply of matched teal?

For the Macaw Jens Pilgard has all kinds of subs and specially dyed feathers. He would be the best person to ask, his web site is here.

For Teal your best bet is Cookshill. If Steve can't help I'd be amazed.

Cheers,

C.

Crackaig, Cookshill looks very good! Lets hope they ship, cheers for the heads up they have a few items i need...we get such shitty materials in the shops here i am just at a point of being frustrated. A few shops in usa won't ship to me either grrr.

Hairwing, that could work...my understanding is that it is like a bright orange soft hackle type feather?

I'll be honest Jam...never used the breast feather. Was doin' some shopping myself for Amherst tails and ran across the GP and thought it might be something for you to sub. Have no idea what you are using the feathers for.

Price seemed right @ $6.95.

No Salmon in my next of the woods, unless it's Kokanee. They are caught with a trolled Super Duper on a lead core rig.

Just doing a mcneese spey pattern and for the cheeks which strangely go under the roof (half showing) calls for 2 matched pairs each side. I shall see how i go as yes price is a factor.

They only Kokanee i have seen is in a can :) Here is a funny one, so we were swinging flies on the stamp one day, my buddy thinks he hooks up and goes 'nahh just a snag, hang on i can bring it in' had hooked a 6pack ring, with 3 fresh kokanee's! Ice cold too!

You should be able to find what you need from one of these two great guys.

http://www.feathersmc.com/

http://www.aaronmostojfeathers.com/retail-shopcontact-info.html

Check ebay as well...just type in macaw feathers

No no no, they don't ship to Kanada

Crackaig, Cookshill looks very good! Lets hope they ship, cheers for the heads up they have a few items i need...we get such shitty materials in the shops here i am just at a point of being frustrated. A few shops in usa won't ship to me either grrr. Hairwing, that could work...my understanding is that it is like a bright orange soft hackle type feather?

I know Steve does ship all over the place. His stuff really is good. If you order a pair of wings, for example, they are a matched pair from the same bird. Unlike many suppliers. He is also the only person I know who can skin a woodcock and keep the skin intact.

If you can phone him, he will be able to help.

Cheers

C.

Paul, folks like you make this site what it is....Good on ya bro!

Murray

Riff is the best, i think we have opened up the great usa, canada trade!

You're in TO right? Take a walk around the beaches where the birds have been nesting, I've been picking up a bunch of pretty good teal, just have to look. (was also at the islands a few weeks back and found one of the male mallard breeding feathers which was kind of cool)