Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly123

Colors to wear while fishing?

To Capt Bob.....trousers: are you talking those nylon cargo pants with the zip-off legs or something heavier such as tan cotton trousers? Nylon shirts OK ?I or heavier material as well. I hate cotton in the out of doors. Even the cotton growers of the south wore linen back in the day

I tend to go with light, natural environment colors. Greens, browns, tans...stuff like that. I may be wrong, but judging by the number of bugs that land on me, Water Snakes that try to climb up me, and birds that swoop low over my head, I think it's working!

Finding lightweight trousers used to be a no brainer since Sears had really cheap "tropical weight work pants" but those are long gone (what they sell now under that designation isn't "tropical weight" at all). For trousers these days I use Ex Officio Nomad pants that have normal legs. I hate those pants with the zip off legs -they're okay for occasional use but you wouldn't like them if you had to wear them day after day....

The Ex Officio are made of a lightweight nylon fabric that can be dry an hour after a soaking rain... I use their shirts as well (the ones that are 85 nylon, 15 polyester)... No, they're not cheap and if anyone knows a cheaper equivalent I'd love to hear about it...

Columbia used to carry what I needed but nowadays not so much...

Thanks for the reply....Now I know what I need when I get down there.

I invited peterjay to come pike fishing with me and let me tell you I will never take a Floridian fishing without stipulating a dress code first

here is the pic we managed to stomach of him

attachicon.gifNew_Image.JPG

Ya know, it isn't often that someone gets insulted twice in the same post, but Paul's hard to stop once he gets on a roll.

1) If you're referring to yours truly, please be advised that I'm no Floridian. I did live there for a time many years ago, but that since that sojourn resulted in a marriage I'd just as soon forget, I've made it my business to avoid the Sunshine State whenever humanly possible. My only slip occurred in 1995, when, against my better judgment, I spent a few days at the St. Pete Hilton. My reward for that mistake was to have my truck windows smashed in the parking lot while the security guard was busy chatting up the local maidens in the pizza concession. (you bet your ass they paid for it) The only possible scenario that would bring me back to Florida would be to pick up a Powerball check, and it had damned well better be a big one.

2) Anyone who makes fun of my stylish bathing togs should be aware that he's not the only one who knows how to use a camera. Here's a snap of the esteemed Mr. Rifflerivercarp&suckerslayer stretching his hamstrings prior to hitting the river for the opening of the steelhead season. The really sad part of all this is that his outfit is on the conservative side for a Michigander. Strange bunch out there.

post-281-0-90367300-1372614195_thumb.jpg

I invited peterjay to come pike fishing with me and let me tell you I will never take a Floridian fishing without stipulating a dress code first

LOL!

Ya know, it isn't often that someone gets insulted twice in the same post, but Paul's hard to stop once he gets on a roll.

1) If you're referring to yours truly, please be advised that I'm no Floridian. I did live there for a time many years ago, but that since that sojourn resulted in a marriage I'd just as soon forget, I've made it my business to avoid the Sunshine State whenever humanly possible. My only slip occurred in 1995, when, against my better judgment, I spent a few days at the St. Pete Hilton. My reward for that mistake was to have my truck windows smashed in the parking lot while the security guard was busy chatting up the local maidens in the pizza concession. (you bet your ass they paid for it) The only possible scenario that would bring me back to Florida would be to pick up a Powerball check, and it had damned well better be a big one.

2) Anyone who makes fun of my stylish bathing togs should be aware that he's not the only one who knows how to use a camera. Here's a snap of the esteemed Mr. Rifflerivercarp&suckerslayer stretching his hamstrings prior to hitting the river for the opening of the steelhead season. The really sad part of all this is that his outfit is on the conservative side for a Michigander. Strange bunch out there.

Ha!