Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ETibbs

Bleaching/Dying Deer hair and buck tail

A friend of mine got me a Walmart bag full of white tail deer body hair (plus wood duck feather, turkey feathers, mule deer body hair and black bear hair) from a taxidermist friend of his. With that said: How can I bleach the hair so it can be dyed lighter colors such as yellow, pink, chartreuse, etc? I've seen some posts of people using RIT dye, but being that most of the hair is dark on the tips, I'd like to find a way to lighten it's natural color to make dying easier. I figure if I can get these huge pieces of hair for free, why not try to dye them and save a looooot of money. Any and all advice is much appreciated! (Hopefully will have a few tails coming soon too!)

I have used salon type hair bleach used for bleaching human hair. Fortunately my daughter is a stylist so I get it through her.

You should also do a test on the hair to get the timing correct. I use RIT dye and sometimes kool aid too. Both work well, but can be messy.

X2!

If you going to get into dyeing and bleaching then you must have this book. Read it thoroughly and you will have just about all the answers for your endeavor.

Hi ETibbs,

Go to our website (www.btsflyfishing.com) and click on the tips & tricks hyperlink. We have a short section there on a bleaching process that we've used for many years (30 or more). It may work for you as well. Take care & ...