Fly Tying

On the loose screw problem. Loc-tite is the correct stuff to use but 35 years ago I used ladies fingernail polish on the threads and none of them have ever came loose since. I still have an old South Bend reel that has a screw missing that I lost before the nail polish trick. No problems since though.

Newcomers to this site should be aware that my friend Ditz has long had a problem with a few loose (and missing) screws, and his familiarity with the issue makes him something of an authority. Also, the fact that he keeps a lot of "ladies fingernail polish" on hand in no way diminishes his standing in the fly fishing community. We old-timers here at the Fly Tying Forum take a great deal of pride in being nonjudgmental.

One can always count on Peterjay for some good technical information.

I don't have as many rods/reels as some folks here, but here's what I can tell you from my experience with fly reels. My reels range in price from $30-$220. I dropped the extra coin on the the reel for my 7wt (Orvis Access) because that was going to be my primary Erie steelhead and carp combo, and I wanted a reel with a good drag system for that. And it performs great, but for whatever reason, I do need to lubricate that reel about once a season. I noticed after about 8 months of use, the reel was not as smooth as it had been, a little reel oil and it was fine. My other fly reels, which are 2 Cabela's reels and 2 Bass Pro White River reels, have been 100% maintenance free, aside from good rinsing after saltwater use. My cheapest reel, a $30 BPS White River Intruder reel for my 6'6" Eagle Claw glass 4wt, has been simply amazing for the price. The drag has been tested by a few chunky rainbows and a few carp, and it has performed flawlessly. Honestly, my favorite reel of the ones I have is the BPS White River Classic I have on my 3wt. It's silky smooth, looks great, and I absolutely would not hesitate to buy another one. I think it was around $110.

I don't ever foresee myself dropping $300+ on a reel.

This will certainly lower my status as a fly fisher, but my two main reels are actually plastic...

Loop evotec clw... 1871_0300edb19f30124f6528d86cb16b1e48100

Made of the same stuff as Nalgene bottles, it's pretty tough stuff, and really lightweight. Drag range isn't huge, but I just use it to prevent overrun of the reel, not to fight fish. My most expensive reel was a Lamson Konic that was on sale. I never got a chance to fish it even before it was claimed by the wife and placed on her rod. I don't fish salt so the reel just holds line and looks cool on a clear fiberglass rod...

well said, you can't be judgmental when so many of you use sally Hansen nail polish for head cement

The guys who use it for head cement aren't the ones you have to be concerned about.

Sally hansen is sooooooo 2010, the ones that know realize essie is the stuff these days, ask any lady or pj.

I have a couple of plastic reels and I find no fault in them for most of the fishing that I do. I still use my old Medalists too but the plastic reels that I have work just fine. I personally believe that plastic will in time replace aluminum on high end reels. There is some really tough and rigid plastic available. The problem is the cost of the molds to form the reels frames and spools. The one problem that I foresee is the plastic temperature instability. It grows and shrinks a lot with temperature variation. A reel made for steelheading might lock up on the Florida flats. Also at least some plastics will dimensionally change when soaked in water or in high humidity.

Ray, that's a good point about temperature. A lot of us keep our gear in unheated garages, etc., and many plastics will become brittle after a while from the wild temperature swings. You're also right on about the cost of molds. I worked for a plastics company that made beads years ago, and those molds cost a fortune. The actual cost of the plastic was a tiny part of production costs. When you factor in other operating costs, labor, and overhead, it's easy to see why 19 cents worth of plastic can sell for $10.

So, after reading the whole thread I will come down on the side of the elitist snob fly fisherman who must have the best of the best. Well, maybe not the absolutely top of the line but definitely up close. I have several bamboo rods ranging in price from $500 to $2500, some old like Leonard, some newer from present Masters. To go on these I have Hardy Bougle, Cascapedia, LRH, Princess, a Peerless, a couple of English Orvis Battenkills, a couple of handmade custom reels from a bench and barstock, and one order being made of machined titanium in England now.

Okay, I should add that I hardly get out to fish much anymore with COPD slowing me down so much my trips are pretty much guided float trips these days. So this is decidedly elitist and when we have the annual bamboo gatherings a few times around the country you can find a whole bunch of us elitists enjoying the handmade rods and high priced reels we have.

Now, that being said (typed), I grew up on Shakespeare Wonderods and Pflueger Medalist reels. I still have several Wonderods in the shed and still use a 1494 and 1495 for bass fishing and sinking lines. To person who brought up multipliers, Hardy does make a multiplier and I still have a Martin multiplier I used on the North Shore of Lake Superior with my Lamiglass and Fenwick Ferrulites, which I still have. The simple truth is, I have owned and used tackle of every price and grade for the last 60 years. Now that I can "sort of" afford the finer rods and reels out there and I choose to have them, why are those who have to point out that their plastic reel bought in a yard sale for $2.00 can do the same thing my $650 Peerless can? I have a Teton worth $300 for saltwater on my 10' 10wt. lamiglas blank I wrapped and finished for the salt that I will probably never use. If ownership and pride in a person's gear is an intrinsic part of a person's enjoyment in life, why should this present a problem to those happy with their tackle? I was perfectly happy fishing a Wonderod and Pflueger when that's what I had, and am just as happy with what I have now. I NEVER look down on anyone's tackle, but find it funny when people knock the pride of ownership for those who've acquired upper line equipment.

Oh well, just the raving and ranting of a tired old man who wishes he got out to use the tackle he has a lot more often.

Hi I don't think that was anybody's intent, I can't speak as most of you can because I have no experience in fly fishing. But I do know from what I have done that fishing for pan fish and small trout will not take a $500.00 reel. I think what people were saying is get the best you can afford and some fishing don't require a lot of reel. But I agree if you are fishing for really big fish you wand a good reel. Just the way i see it