Fly Tying
coinman66

What is Best Adhesive for Dome Eyes?

Other than it smelling a bit while it dries, I've been very happy with Goop for securing eyes. Can slap a hair bug against a piling or stump over and over, and the eyes stay put. Actually, I'm referring to mounting solid plastic eyes on hair bugs. Don't think zap-a-gap would work well for that, but it might work fine for dome eyes on a solid material.

I've been using Fletch-Tite, an arrow makers glue for some years now. You can find the stuff at any archery shop (or your local Bass Pro shop). It comes in a tube, with a long small applicator that is just right for applying a single drop of glue. I do one eye, then clamp for a few minutes (clothes pin or micro clamp)then the other.... Hope this helps.

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

Guest rich mc

I use liquid nail small project adhesive in clear. takes 24hrs to totally dry but the eyes are secure. rich mc

For Musky I use 2P-10 adhesive. Its got a 4000lb shear strength or something nuts. However, for smallies Id agree with the other poster on goop. Ive used it for a couple years without any problems.

I've started using gorilla glue for eyes and a very very small amount is needed. Sets the eye on very solid.

I take an exaxto knife and put scratches on the back of the eye. This gives the glue something to etch into. Glue doesn't stick well to a smooth plastic surface. I don't care what kind of glue you use. This will make it stick better. I use gorilla glue and or 527 bond.

Like some of the others, I've been using GOOP for about 20 years. It'll adhere to anything, and the eyes will usually break on the rocks before they fall off.

I use Loctite super glue on mine and never have a problem with them coming off. Sometimes it's tricky placing them without it hitting your fingers, but you just have to be careful.

Doesn't the Gorilla glue foam-up while curing? I have used it for years in carpentry but never thought of using it in flytying because of this property.

Ditto for Goop, stuff works great and is cheap and available everywhere. I haven't tried it yet but I have read that if you dilute with xylene or something similar it makes something very similar to fleximent

The gorilla glue does foam up. I use a teeny amount and you don't see where it has set beneath the eye, then normally my heads have some UV resin around them but even the plain eyes stuck on a thread head hold solid. Use too much and as you say it foams up and you can cut this off with a slim knife but that's extra fuss.

The situation is getting the eyes to stay on a Murdich Minnow. Should I trim the area where im placing the eye? Gonna give the Goop a shot I think. Thinking it will have more adhesion to the Estaz fibers. Or find some Zap A Gap Gel. That's what the guys at Tight Lines use.