Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowmike

Anyone ever give a flyfishing/tying presentation

A while back I was asked if I would do a trout fishing presentation at a trout club. I was hesitant because I had never did anything like this before. I decided to go for it and volunteered my time.

I decided I would do my presentation on Winter Fly Fishing, and created a very nice power point, with all original material, and photos. I will be giving away 2 water proof boxes, on lanyards with 16-20 flies, that I use in the winter.These boxes were given to me from Allen Fly Fishing, along with some other goodies. I will also be giving away one of their boxes without flies as well.

I am confident on my material and am not affraid of public speaking, but the tying demo has me a bit nervous. I never really tied in front of a group of people before. I have tied in front of a few friends, and helped many people before. Any advice on how to go about this process. I don't want to let my nerves get a hold of me if lets say the thread breaks or something like that. I will be tying a rubber leg stonefly that I have a lot of success with in the winter. Not too tricky but does have some tougher materials to work with. I think I want to demonstrate it once, and then ask If anyone would like to try themselves and coach them through it, and let them keep their fly. Contemplated bringing another vice for this as well.

Also what would you wear to this. I was thinking that a shirt and tie may be a bit over kill. Thinking khakis, and a polo, or nicer button up shirt.

I really look forward to trying to get people to give winter fishing a chance. I hope that this will peak the club members interests, and maybe make them want to push their fishing comfort zone.

Any advice on this would be appreciated, and DO's or DON'T's, anything that you have seen in a presentation that you did not like.

I have given presentations.

For fly tying, a video camera hooked into the powerpoint projector is the best way to demo the tying. Put the camera on a tripod with a view of the vise head and fly from over your shoulder. This gives the audience the same view of the tying process as the fly tyer. Put a piece of white cardboard behind the fly for contrast. Illumination is key and you may need several lamps.

A camera operator can handle the zoom and wide angle shots as needed.

As SilverCreek pointed out, an over the shoulder shot is best, but very rarely is it practical, at least in my experience, in terms of space, ease of setup, etc. You did not say much about the format or the expected time you would be tying, but rather than trying to teach, I would recommend focussing on demonstrating your patterns exclusively (2-3 at the most for 45-60 minutes). Have a table with chair set up so the maximum number of people can observer, keep the patterns relatively simple, and as you tie talk the audience through the tie explaining why you tie this way, how to fish it, etc. You will be surprised how fast the time can go so I caution you to not get too ambitious. Teaching tying is a different format altogether in my mind, and typically involves a longer period of time, smaller audience and slower pace. Oh yeah, regardless of which way the camera is pointing, wear a light solid colored shirt that contrasts with the fly.

Good luck.

Thanks,

It is a relatively small group from what the president has said. Just a smaller club. I will be giving the winter fly fishing demonstration, then doing the fly tying presentation at a seperate table. I am going to put together a feedback survey and pick a few at random for the prizes of my flies. Which i just wrapped up a few on lunch break ;) I think that some members may leave who are not interested inthe tying demo, so I may give the prizes away right after the presentation.

I am not sure of the skill level of the members who will be watching the demo, and understand it may be hard for them to see. i will be looking for a round table to do this. I imagine that the entire presentation and tying demo will be less than an hour. I am very new to tying in front of people but do not stress too easy. I do tie a lot of lies, and sell quite a bit, but have never done anything like this. I am going to go in with the mindset of just talking with friends and just relaying the tips, and tactics that work for me. I do the majority of my fishing in the winter because spring gobbler takes up my spring, summer is family time, and fall i am in a tree waiting for deer.

I want to give a good impression of my knowledge but not make the audience think that I am some sort of pro, or trying to sell them products. I simply want to draw an interest in winter fly fishing, and show them how to tie a pattern or two that I find effective.

I am contemplating having a Q/A session, and allow members to give their own winter tips. Some club meetings can get a bit intense and I think this could be a good way to let members get to know each other better, and not feel like it is just the board reading minutes and talking issues.

Not to make the pressure on me more but Octobers speaker is George Daniel. The guy is one of my fly fishing idols, and someone I respect very much for his accomplishments and what he does for our sport. I know I would never be on the same level as him, but do not want to let the members down with nothing less than professional presentation. :)

Yup, remember that your shirt is the background that most people will see behind the fly. A plain shirt, regardless of style, that contrasts with the fly you are tying is critical. So is good lighting. Often the camera is setting off to one side, so the audience can still see. If the operation requires you to obscure the fly with your hands, be sure to explain what is happening, and move your hands as soon as you can so the audience can see the result.

Don't worry about breaking thread. Just say, "Oops..." and continue. It happens to everyone.

Coaching someone in tying a fly is very time consuming. I wouldn't try that as part of a presentation. As part of a workshop, definitely, but that's a whole different discussion.

I will not need a lot of space because i will be using the product I am designing and working to get the finished model out soon. It is what I use for tying on the go as well as the prototype pack system. I can have everything in a 13" by 13" case, and only need about the same amount so space to tie. I will let you know how it gos.

I was invited back for their fly tying workshop as well and may do that. I am not trying to get into this type of thing but do enjoy helping others learn our sport. I think with a group this small they may be able to just sit around the table and observe.

Having done too many to count the most important thing is to know the fly inside out and upside down before you demo it. You can not concentrate on the tying while demonstrating. Your concentration goes to the audience, and keeping the banter going.

The advice you have been given on shirts is spot on.

If you can get away with it tie all your flies with one thread. Have two or three spools or bobbins loaded with it. When you break the thread and drop the bobbin, leave it. Pick up one of the others and continue. Often a member of the audience will pick it up for you.

For any flies that need an epoxy coat use 90 second epoxy so you can pass them around after a couple of minutes. I use probe clips to hand round flies. Always put them into something.

It can be a good idea to bag up the materials for each fly before hand. Open the bag, tie the fly, scoop everything into the bag, then open the next one.

When I present for a branch of the Fly Dressers Guild I always remember that the people there are not there to learn about fly tying. They are there for an evenings entertainment based on fly tying. My aim is that everyone there laughs, claps, and picks up one tip on fly tying. Once this is done I indulge myself and tie something few in the audience will be able to tie.

Do not worry about the camera! Its not your job. You are there to demonstrate to the audience not a machine. Encourage questions during the demo, the hardest audience is one that sits there and doesn't respond.

Good luck with it

Cheers,

C.

Any advice on how to go about this process. I don't want to let my nerves get a hold of me if lets say the thread breaks or something like that.

breaking the thread = a learning experience for the viewers. you should know how to recover quickly with a good tying tip

if you dont have the video equipment i wouldnt worry too much about that. go to a tying show and youll see one featured tying using the shows equipment and the rest of the tyer will be at tables along a wall. they sit and tie flies while we stand and ask questions or just watch

be yourself and not george daniels (whoever he is)

know your pattern inside and out and teach techniques as you are tying the fly.

have your materials ready to go rather than having to reach into your tying bag/box for each and every material. being unprepared looses my attention right away.

be ready for questions on why did you do that or why did you use this. have smart answers

wear a solid colored shirt. it really sucks trying to see what a tyer is doing when they wear loud and obnoxious t-shirts.

dont forget about personal hygene.

be friendly with your audience.

Thanks all with the spot on advice.

I have my materials to tie each pattern in an insert in my case. I will probably only have enough time to tie one fly. I do not know the experience level of all of the people there so I am planning on going over all of the basics as well, from securing the thread to tying in the rubber legs.

I will be going to pick up a solid color shirt today. I think most of mine are striped. That was one thing that I did not even think about to be honest.

Was thinking about opening with a joke as well to get the mood changed from a club meeting. Let me know what you think of this one, It may be old, but I enjoy it:

Two fly fisherman are fishing on Penns creek during the Green Drake hatch. They are hammering trout left and right. Big browns and rainbows are being brought to hand every other cast. The duo gets to their favorite bridge. A few trout are rising just on the opposite side of the streams.

One of the fisherman lands the perfect cast and starts a drift that he knows is sure to bring a trout. Just as his fly hits the water the two notice a funeral percession coming over the bridge. The one fly fisherman just then gets the biggest fish of the day on his rod, before he can get his fly out of the water and let the percession pass. This is easily a 20+" brown. He immediately snaps the line on the monster brown, takes his hat of, bows his head and says a prayer.

After the percession continues the other fisherman says, "Man I gotta tell ya, that was the most respectful and best display of sportsmanship I have ever seen. You are a good man."

The other fisherman says, "Well I guess, I was married to her for 30 years"

I like that one. Think it is in good taste. I honestly think I am over thinking the whole thing, but just don't want to mess this up. I am excited but a bit nervous.

Bowmike,

your last statement above is the whole key. Don't overthink it, if you really know the fly and the material you will be speaking about just do it. be as casual as you can be from what you wear to how you set up to do your tying. I have done a whole bunch of both tying demos and presentations both small groups and an entire room of fly fisherman. One thing to remember is there will be different levels of skill at this club some new some with years and years of fishing. The key to a good presentation do not get too technical or too narrow a scope you will loose a good part of your audiance. Be a bit general while giving the most important points more detail like " best weather, flows, rod and reels in general terms then get more detail with the flies, bugs and techniques to be successful. refrain from the "I" reference all the time, maybe lefty can get away with it but most can not. I used to open with a joke, but sat thru a prsentation at a salmon club where the guy opened with a joke that was not quite funny or for the crowd the joke was all many of us could remember. Saw the same guys a year later same talk and material minus the joke and wow! I stole a note sheet and pencil so I could take notes. I like to always open at a new club with a hello and a bit about myslef and my back ground -then a good back gound of the prsentation then rigth into it.

As for tying demos if it is a small group you should be ok without the camera and projector unless your tyinf 26 midges. like others said have everything down. have extra thread and materials laid out ready to go so it is seamless. if you break thead (we all do) just tie it back in ans continue. try to explain how and why you do things this or that as is mentioned alot we all tie diffferently. Good luck and let us knwo how it goes.

Steve

Practice. Tie one up and record it on video to self-critique your narrative.

I've never made a fishing presentation, but I used to be on the speakers circuit for orchid societies where I discussed growing them in hydroponics and demonstrating the techniques with my own plants.

Actually, over thinking it is o.k. as long as its on the presentation. In other words, don't over think into nervousness. Concentrate on the presentation as to what flows and what does not. Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Well clothes are ironed, powerpoint is done. Emailed it to the president and saved it to both my phone and an 8 gig flash drive. Double checked the flash drive and it is definetly on there. My travle kit has been put together. I have the materials to tie the fly I want to teach after my presentation. I did the ripple transition between slides. I am not big on fancy transitions or sounds but the ripple transition caught my eye.

Wearing khakis and a red polo with red white and blue logo for patriots day. My presentation is on winter trout fishing and the topics are as follows:

•TITLE
-WINTER FLY FISHING IN PENNSYLVANIA (ITS JUST YOU, THE STREAM, AND THE FISH)
•BACKGROUND ON ME
•WHAT TO EXPECT
•BENEFITS
•DOWNFALLS
•AREAS TO TARGET
•KEEPING WARM
•GEAR MANAGEMENT
•QUICK TIPS
•TECHINQUES
•HANDLING FISH
•WHAT FLIES TO USE
-STANDARD NYMPHS
-STONE FLIES
-STREAMERS
-DRY FLIES
-OTHER FLIES TO CONSIDER
•CONCLUSION
•QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS, MEMBER ACCOUNTS
•FLY, FLY BOX, STICKER GIVE AWAY
•FLY TYING DEMO
Planning on offering the powerpoint to members if they give me their email address as well.
I present at 7:30 tonight wish me luck. A little nervous but excited at the same time. Hope all gos smooth and I get some positive feedback. Would be a long 2 hour ride home if not ;)

Good luck, be genuine and have fun.

I've never given a tying demonstration but being the training manager for a large company puts me in front of a lot of people. I don't care if I make a mistake because if you handle it properly it lightens the mood and when everyone is comfortable things go a lot smoother.

I would refrain from ever telling a joke. If it bombs or you bomb the joke then it just screws up your confidence, you get side tracked and things start to go downhill. It's not fun to struggle in front of a crowd.

Good luck, be genuine and have fun.

I don't care if I make a mistake because if you handle it properly it lightens the mood and when everyone is comfortable things go a lot smoother.

I would refrain from ever telling a joke. If it bombs or you bomb the joke then it just screws up your confidence, you get side tracked and things start to go downhill. It's not fun to struggle in front of a crowd.

I just saw this post this morning, but you are spot on with this. I was tying my stone fly and after I tied in the legs i realized i did not rib the fly.

Instead of panicing, I let it be known that I messed up and said, "Now, guys I will show you how to rescue a fly" I laughed and a member brought up a story how another member used to tie wooly buggers and always forgot to wrap the hackle. " Hey, they made great leaches!" he said. The mood was lightened as you said and it made me more at ease.

The presentation went well, and there were somewhere around 35 guys there. I met a few of the members before the meeting, and that also helped to lighten the mood. All of the members loved my flies. I was shocked that many of the members were very intentive and were even taking notes. I think I presented winter fly fishing well, and may have got a few guys interested enough to give it a try. There were some older guys gave me this response, "You can have that -2 real feel temperatures, if I want to fish I'll go South"

It really gave me pride in my knowledge and abilities to give a presentation to guys that more than double my age and tell me that they learned a lot. I look forward to doing this again. A TU president from out there told me he wanted to book me to speak at one of his meetings so I must have done something right.

Thanks for all of the advice, if anyone wants the powerpoint send me an email and I will send it to you. All of the photos were taken by me, and all of the material is my own.