Fly Tying
Lance Kekel

Tying with gloves

I have begun using silk gloves for applying silk floss. I've found that they really help keep the floss from fraying and it seems to be much cleaner than it was before I started wearing them.

I got the gloves from Cabela's for $5.95, look in the catalog under glove liners.

i guess if you get enuff onto your fingers for a lenght of time, anythings a saturant, as in, will be absorbed into your pores, WHMIS, they kinda drill it into your head nowadays

Whatever you do, don't risk latex. Use a non-latex glove to avoid eventual allergies. I know of a couple tyers that have developed allergies after years of tying. One developed a metal allergy from his scissors. Perhaps finding tight non-latex gloves is a good idea, as an eventual allergy to certain dyes could be possible. Would definately have to get use to the feel.

I use silk or polyester gloves (liners) because my hands are in such tough shape year 'round regardless of using hand salve. Silk floss really shouldn't be handled without gloves for two reasons: it will pick up oils from your skin and discolor and also fray as you handle it onto the hook. When my hands get really bad because I hate putting salve on them I can destroy 3/0 nylon or anything between "A" and "D" equivalent Gudebrod thread in the blink of an eye.

QUOTE (picketpin @ Jan 22 2005, 11:42 PM)
Lance those finger condoms are also called finger cots

They're for fingers????????? Damn!!!!!!!! wallbash.gif

QUOTE (Gilly @ Apr 29 2005, 09:25 AM)
QUOTE (picketpin @ Jan 22 2005, 11:42 PM)
Lance those finger condoms are also called finger cots

They're for fingers????????? Damn!!!!!!!! wallbash.gif

laugh.gif

I get that with both maribou and the died deer hair. No problem with chenille or other synthetics. No problem with any other colors. I usually plan on washing up after handling that stuff anyway.... especially the lead wire.

I use gloves at times when my fingers get cracks on them. I found some thin Vinyl gloves, latex free, at the local ACO hardware store. There are 50 in a box and they work great. They don't tear like latex gloves. They are made by Drug Emporium.

I really would consider changing materials dealers if the dye is coming off on your hands. It should never happen.

the allergy from the scissors praobably meant that the scissors had a high nickel content. Nickel is the most common metal people develop allergies to...fortunately I haven't had that problem, since I'm around nickel alloys all the time.

My younger daughter for a time worked cleaning glasswarre in the chemistry department...she couldn't wear latex gloves since she was allergic to them, and then developed an even morre sever allergy to the nhon-latex gloves. So she had to stop cleaning glassware.

I'm a complete klutz as soon as you put any type of glove on my hands. I rarely wear glovesa in my chemnistry lab unless the stuff i'm working with is really, really nasty. Rule #1: Don't spill any stuff on your hands!!

Mark Delaney