Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eric_sthjrsy

Winter Weather Fishing Gloves Help

I got cha, the neoprene does take away the "feeling" when picking items up. I have the same issues with work gloves in the winter. It takes getting used to, like feeling the fly line in your line hand. But for the sake of being warm on stream it's worth getting used to it. I think the texture or rubbery type of material does that. I remember when I first got them I would sit out back on the deck long enough to get good and chilled then start tying knots in leaders and tying flies on just reworking the leader so to speak. It does take getting used to doing that with just the tips of your thumbs and pointer fingers sticking out. I will not lie about that, once mastered it's better than your whole hand exposed. My wife thought I was insane but the practice made things go smoother on stream when time matters I thought. Hope this helps anyone that's looking to make a decision on some gloves for winter fishing.

In my opinion, fingerless gloves are the silliest idea ever if keeping your hands and fingers warm is the purpose. I understand that dexterity is important but not at the expense of frozen fingers. And if your fingers are frozen, ... Well, you get the idea. For me, the best solution is a thin polypropylene glove with a rubberlike coating on the palms. They are dexterous enough for most tasks and they keep my hands warm.

Most importantly, they are inexpensive enough to have a couple of pairs handy if needed.

post-35746-0-97540700-1414779459.jpg

Thanks Steve. I knew that but I thought maybe some might be interested still. I too am a little put off by old posts being resurrected with nothing new being said. I have often thought of suggesting if old posts could somehow be archived (read only).