Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
decker1313

vice package recommendation

Hey All,

I am looking to break into fly tying after purchasing flies over the past few years. In my search for the necessary equipment I came across this package.

http://www.amazon.com/Peak-Trailhead-Vise-Package-Pedestal/dp/B0032GRF52

http://peakfishing.com/VisePackages.html

I was just wondering if you guys thought that this package would be a good value, as far as getting a quality vice and tools for a good price go.

If this is not a good deal and you could recommend a different direction to go it would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Not being familiar with the Peak vice I can only pass on what I have been told. Its a quality vice that should serve you well. However, if it has a jaw that is made from one piece of metal I wouldn't go for it. Most hardening of jaws is case hardening. This is done by heating the metal and covering it in carbon while it cools. This increases the carbon content at the surface of the metal. (The higher the carbon content the harder the steal, generally). The working surfaces are on the inside of the jaws, which, if the jaw is one piece, is difficult to access. The area where you want the jaws to be hard is the most difficult to get hard. Therefore, from an engineering point of view, I prefer jaws that are made in two pieces. Also the clamping force of a two piece jaw is greater.

The tools do not look to be of the highest quality. Some of those tools you will not find in my kit. You will have some mono that will make an adequate bobbin threader. Presumably you have fingers. That means that you are paying for two tools that you don't need. Threader and whip finisher. The rough side of Velcro glued to a stick makes a dubbing teaser as good as any you can buy.

Scissors. There are differing views on these. Some people like to get a high quality pair that will last them for many years. As I tie a lot I view scissors as a consumable, replacing them every 9 to 12 months. I've had high quality scissors and get only 3 or 4 years out of them. The scissors I use cost less then £2 a pair. Quality scissors about £24. The math is simple.

Hackle pliers of that type (English) are not expensive. The last ones I bought cost £2 for three pairs on Ebay.

There are lots of great videos available on You Tube and Vimeo. The people who make them are usually approachable if you have questions, I like to think I am!

Overall I suspect you could do better for your hard earned. A Renzetti Traveller for $165, some English hackle pliers for $3. A TMC bobbin that will last you many years for less than $20. You can make Bodkin, dubbing brush, and threadder. That would leave you $31:95 for scissors and hair stacker. If you can't get good ones for that then you are not looking. Should you want a wooden block with holes in it for your tools then drill some holes into a wooden block! It is possible to do much better for less.

Cheers,

C.

All the Griffin vises feature two piece jaws, and for a hundred dollars less, you can get their Montana Pro II kit. OR get the Odyessy Cam Spider for $115. This is their entry level rotational vise, and again is a two piece jaw. Then get your own tools, and for less than the cost of the Peak kit, you can get a decent vise, tools, and have money for hooks and thread.

Tools your must have would be scissors, bobbin holder, bodkin (dubbing needle,) whip finisher, hair stacking tube, and hackle pliers. The scissors, and bobbin holder you should buy and like Craig said, get the TMC ceramic bobbin. I prefer good scissors myself, and have learned to sharpen mine. Hackle pliers are just a couple of dollars, and the other tools are not very expensive. I have made my own dubbing needles, hair stacking tubes,dubbing teasers, and bobbin threaders.

Not to say the Peak or Renzetti are not the way to go, but there are other options. All three of these vises (and others,) are good quality vises. Since the vise is your most important tool, it pays to try out the vise before you buy it. If at all possible, get down to a fly shop, and ask them to show you some of theirs. This is also the time of year that many shops start their tying classes. It wouldn't hurt to check them out as well.

Thank you both for the very thorough replies. I believe I am going to go ahead and purchase the items seperately rather than a kit. That appears to be the better way to go. I am still unsure of what vice I will purchase. I am going to head to the local fly shops, as well as the Somerset show and hopefully will make a decision then.

If you can wait until after the Somerset show, that would be best. By going there, you should be able to see a LOT of different tiers all using different vises. Most of the major vendors should be there and displaying their wares. Most should let you sit down and get a feel for their vises.

I just started tying as well and researched forever before making a decision. I am over in Germany with the military so it made it that much harder to research because there are limited amounts of shops here. Eventually I found the PEAK vise through Anglers Workshop in a package for 161$. I figured I could go with a cheaper vise to make sure I liked it before investing that much money but then decided I have no kids so money isn't all that tight.... so I went for it. The deciding factor for me was that the vise alone usually

goes for 150... so for an extra 20$(with the shipping) I would have all the tools also.

I took a lesson in the local shop and used very high end tools during the lesson (Marc Petijean) so I was nervous about the tools that came in this package. Once I received them though they worked just as well for me. I will admit that I spent an extra few dollars to get a bobbin with a ceramic insert (the one in the package doesn't come with that) and the scissors that came with the package only lasted me two months. I purchased a new set for 10 bucks and am now content for a beginner.

Most of the guys on this site have excellent advice.... just wanted to let you know if you do want the PEAK there is a cheaper option out there. Again you are not going to get

the video, or tool holder, or brass adjustment knobs.... but for me I have everything I need to tie. Check out the site and see for yourself

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/checkout/cart/