Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyTyer15

Flies to tie in the future

I was wondering what are some good quick and effective flies to tie. I would like them to be a Dry, Nymph, and a Streamer as that is what I will be using next year.

I fish mostly fish nymphs, and I would recommend

1) Pheasant tail nymph

2) Hares ear nymph

3) Copper John

You can find pictures of them all in the fly data base on here or any where on the web.

Midges are the some of the first insects to begin hatching every spring, and the fish will hit them well when they are on the surface or moving to the surface. Yes a peacock midge like the Griffith Gnat would be a good fly to have. This image has a line showing where to crop the hackle if you want the fly to ride lower in the surface film. post-12074-0-46019800-1388411795_thumb.jpg

Here is a simple midge pupae pattern post-12074-0-73735800-1388411952_thumb.jpg

And a thread midge larva pattern:post-12074-0-29628800-1388412063_thumb.jpg

Midges are pretty small, so size 18 to 20 are good. post-12074-0-97222600-1388413493_thumb.jpg

The other early flies that you may find hatching in Feb or March are the little black or brown stone flies. They are usually on a size 14 or 16 3XL hook. post-12074-0-22672700-1388412308_thumb.jpg

For larger stone fly nymphs, I use the Brooks Stone: Easy to tie, and works great:post-12074-0-26305700-1388412934_thumb.jpg Tie these on 4XL hook in sizes 4 to 10, and weight them. Many stone flies take 3 or 4 years to mature and hatch, so there are always smaller nymphs about at all times. Smaller black nymphs are good to have all the time.

You should have a floating mayfly AND a caddis fly pattern. I use emerging patterns like these. First is a mayfly type, and then the caddis. The caddis pattern is called an Opal X Caddis, and its about the only floating caddis pattern I use. post-12074-0-99250700-1388412525_thumb.jpgpost-12074-0-04543700-1388412615_thumb.jpg

For mayfly nymphs, the pheasant tail and hares ears are great representations of them. The PT works well for slimmer profile nymphs like the Baetis, and the Hares Ears can work for everything else. Tie the HE in a range of colors besides the standard darker tans. I tie them from cream to black in tans, browns, olives, and gray. post-12074-0-56766100-1388413319_thumb.jpgpost-12074-0-29526300-1388413347_thumb.jpg

Midges are the some of the first insects to begin hatching every spring, and the fish will hit them well when they are on the surface or moving to the surface. Yes a peacock midge like the Griffith Gnat would be a good fly to have. This image has a line showing where to crop the hackle if you want the fly to ride lower in the surface film. attachicon.gifGriffith large.JPG

Here is a simple midge pupae pattern attachicon.gifredmidge.JPG

And a thread midge larva pattern:attachicon.gifBlack thread midge.jpg

Midges are pretty small, so size 18 to 20 are good. attachicon.gifthree on a nickle.JPG

The other early flies that you may find hatching in Feb or March are the little black or brown stone flies. They are usually on a size 14 or 16 3XL hook. attachicon.gifBrownStone.jpg

For larger stone fly nymphs, I use the Brooks Stone: Easy to tie, and works great:attachicon.gifGrizzly brown stone.jpg Tie these on 4XL hook in sizes 4 to 10, and weight them. Many stone flies take 3 or 4 years to mature and hatch, so there are always smaller nymphs about at all times. Smaller black nymphs are good to have all the time.

You should have a floating mayfly AND a caddis fly pattern. I use emerging patterns like these. First is a mayfly type, and then the caddis. The caddis pattern is called an Opal X Caddis, and its about the only floating caddis pattern I use. attachicon.gifPHD Olive.JPGattachicon.gifOpal caddis 800.JPG

For mayfly nymphs, the pheasant tail and hares ears are great representations of them. The PT works well for slimmer profile nymphs like the Baetis, and the Hares Ears can work for everything else. Tie the HE in a range of colors besides the standard darker tans. I tie them from cream to black in tans, browns, olives, and gray. attachicon.gifPTNymph.jpgattachicon.gifFuzzyHE.jpg

Wow. Thanks. I never thought about stone flies. how well does the pt nymph work?

Wow. Thanks. I never thought about stone flies. how well does the pt nymph work?

Pheasant tails are a staple in most fly boxes. It's been around for a lot years and still works great!

I have several different sizes and colors in my box and use it every time I'm after trout. Most of the time it works, not always but often enough I wouldn't go after trout without them!

how well does the pt nymph work?

A bead head pheasant tail nymph is probably my number one fly and with out a doubt its caught me the most fish of all the other flys in my box. In most of my cases its the first to go on and often the last to come off.

Pt nymphs are most often "dead drifted" under an indicator ( assuming your fishing moving water) I like to run a two nymph rig using a sz. 6 or 8 weighted stonefly, to a sz. 14-18 pheasant tail unweighted to add a more natural drift. It can imitate multiple mayflys, but I find it most closely resembles a callibaetis nymph

This CDC Caddis Pupa has been a producer for me over the years, and would be a great pick (if you have caddis in your area). You can modify the size/color to match naturals in your area. Materials are the basic ones everyone has, and the steps aren't difficult at all. Enjoy!

TC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCgIZ7yoLCg

The "original" Pheasant Tail tied by Frank Sawyer isn't tied much these days, but its still effective. There are dozens (if not hundreds) of variations, and the all do the job. Just the fact that so many tiers have worked up so many different variations, and continue to fish it, is a good indication that it still works. I never let myself run out of them.

Last season I caught a quite good number of trout with a Black Gold Head tied on a No. 12 hook, sometimes using it with a strike indicator. This nymph is really effective on rivers as well on reservoirs.

I write you a link of a my article in which I describe step by spet how to tie thiis fly

BLACK GOLD HEAD

Ciao

Luca