Fly Tying
Fish For Life

How man boxes do you bring

That's why I use a lot of the crushable Orvis boxes now. I'm not a big Orvis fan but those foam boxes they have are light as a feather and don't add any weight to a vest http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=37GT

I like the Orvis boxes, too. I also like the Morell (sp?) foam boxes, but my favorites are the foam boxes sold under the brand name "Fly-Case". They're hard to find, but they are wonderfully light, spacious and cheaper than either Orvis or Morell. smile.png

If you have a local Orvis store near you then go sign up for their mailing list. When you sign up for the list they send you a "Spend $50 get $25 off" coupon about once every 3 months. I usually use that to pick up 4 of those boxes for only about $35 then cool.png

2 boxes, C&F large size. One with the dry fly compartments on one side the other with foam. The other is the dry fly small box with the threaders. I reckon I have over 500 flies ranging from size 22 dries to size 6 muddlers, various nymphs in all sizes n colours. More than enough for me. Stay light as possible as on my rivers its a case of walking a fair distance to find the fish lol.

I have tried all of the various chest packs, butt packs, shoulder rigs etc... and find myself always coming back to a vest:

EW-81-POPWITHBROWN.jpg

What is carried in that vest, in the way of fly boxes, is determined by what method of FF is to be used, time of year, what is present in the biomass and/or what is hatching ...Over the past two years I have been gravitating towards these Angler's Image boxes to carry sub-surface patterns that are smaller than #14's:

euro-nymphs-2013-1_zps51a319f3.jpg

They can be loaded up, have magnetic bottoms (nice when the wind comes up) and are slim...for wets, Wheatley clip boxes,for dries, I like Myran or Wheatley flip window boxes, Myran slotted for buggers and streamers..

I pretty much have all my boxes down to particular types of May Flies, Caddis, Midges, Stones, etc.

Try as I might, I too am guilty of carrying MORE...

PT/TB

I am as guilty as most when it comes to carrying WAY more boxes than I need. This past season I tried to get away from the multi-pound vest by going to a fanny pack with a couple of Cliff boxes and a Morell that I have had for awhile. Never was a loss for flies but it was harder to carry all the other stuff that I have in the vest. I have been thinking that a sling pack might be a better compromise for my use but I will have to play with the couple of models that my local shop carries. Of course I could just take the stuff and boxes out of my vest that I never use, that would reduce the weight by about 35%.

Steve

I always take 3 boxes. One double sided box with large Popper's on one side and some foam critters on the other. Another box with small Popper's and another with what won't fit in the other 2.

I live in SE GA so I don't have a home trout water. So when I get a chance to fish the cold, I bring as many boxes as I can with as many different patterns as I can. I recently got a new vest, the Simms G3 Guide Vest, and am still figuring out how to fit more boxes in it.

I've got 4 vests. 3 of them are Simms! I delibrately got the vertical master one so I would'nt go crazy over packing it lol. My other is an Orvis Battenkil, gd vest but far too many pockets.

i have carried around 12-15 fly boxes in my vest and also carried a bunch of the large thingamabobbers to help keep me afloat in case i fell in

attachicon.gifPicture0008.jpg

Sandflyx ... you ARE this guy, aren't you?!?!

Just one. A Richard Wheatley Comp Lite box with a swing leaf. Easy Grip foam on all four serfaces.. Carries about 250 flies. Used to carry a lot more but decided to reduce what I carry about three years ago. Box goes in the fly box pouch that attaches to the same Company's lanyard system.

http://richard-wheatley.co.uk/#/products/4573387051/Fisherman-Deluxe-Lanyard-37002/4850092

http://richard-wheatley.co.uk/#/products/4573387051/Fisherman-Pouch-37011/4849852

http://richard-wheatley.co.uk/#/products/4573387051/Comp-Lite-9604/4842253

i use a kayak so space is limited. that being said my max amount of fly boxes is 2 however i usually have one box with me and a few flies thrown in the center hatch if i feel they are worth bringing along.