Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HighPlainsDrifter

Dollar Store Wrapping Paper Spoon

I know, I am just a big sissy

I am glad you're finally coming to terms with that. Not exactly "out-of-the-closet" yet, but you're getting there.

OK, you guys got me, but at least I was using a barbless gig. Anything else would be unsportsmanlike.

... leftover water to wash out your thong - those things can get pretty gamy after a couple of weeks.

Barbless gig ... LOL I'll bet that gets frustrating !!!

Just so you know, I am poking my minds eye out, trying to get rid of that mental picture.

Ditz/Ray, I know a guy that uses a sandwich baggie over body to prevent the oozing epoxy to get on his fingers as he shapes it. I've tried that but didn't care for it; I did try a little piece of parchment paper folded over the body and that worked better for me.

Kirk

Peter, I have some of those, maybe I'll try them out. As long as they don't stick to the curing epoxy. Will let you know if I remember.

As the glove snapped the doctor said "alright, if you would please bend over the table" ohmy.png

I like CS70D 2 for the finger nail flies. I actually paid $7 a piece for three of these highly touted flies, heavy, cast poorly, and for me didn't catch fish.

post-27925-0-86576800-1395345402_thumb.jpg

Finger nails have worked for me and easier than most to make. These were a bit of a pain in the butt and a little messy, the key was to rotate the fly to even out the epoxy.

post-27925-0-44851700-1395345854_thumb.jpgpost-27925-0-25278000-1395346016_thumb.jpg

I'm leaving the glove thing alone...

For the spoon, man Dave, you got a deal; I think those are going for $15 a pop now. They aren't very good in shallow water for the reasons of weight you stated. However on deeper flats, I've heard they work very well.

On the mylar trimmed ones you made, if you use some UV resin as a first layer to fill in the gaps, you can then apply a coat of 30 minute cure epoxy and put in a mechanized turner to level out and cure. Those two resins will not yellow although yellowing 5 min epoxy with gold trim and tan wing goes together just fine in my book.

Kirk

I'm leaving the glove thing alone...

For the spoon, man Dave, you got a deal; I think those are going for $15 a pop now. They aren't very good in shallow water for the reasons of weight you stated. However on deeper flats, I've heard they work very well.

On the mylar trimmed ones you made, if you use some UV resin as a first layer to fill in the gaps, you can then apply a coat of 30 minute cure epoxy and put in a mechanized turner to level out and cure. Those two resins will not yellow although yellowing 5 min epoxy with gold trim and tan wing goes together just fine in my book.

Kirk

I've still got those spoons somewhere amongst the other must have but don't work gizmos stash. I see an ebay moment in my future! I've never been a huge spoon guy, although they work very well and god knows I've spent time making a few.

My problem is I tend to move from fly to fly and material to material….Seems I have a case of Tying ADD. I have a bunch of patterns that produce time after time, I just can't help myself and continue to buy more stuff and tie more flies that I'll ever use.

My name is Dave and I'm a…man in a dress who ties to many flies

"My problem is I tend to move from fly to fly and material to material….Seems I have a case of Tying ADD. I have a bunch of patterns that produce time after time, I just can't help myself and continue to buy more stuff and tie more flies that I'll ever use.

My name is Dave and I'm a…man in a dress who ties to many flies"

Welcome to the club, Bro. When A.K. Best talks about tying an order of 144 blue wing olives, he might as well be talking about the Death of a Thousand Cuts. I might make it through a half-dozen before I'd be foaming at the mouth and chewing on the carpet. If it makes you feel any better, my shrink says a lot of creative people have that issue. I'm not sure if she's telling the truth, or she's just keeping me under control until the hour's up and she can get me the hell out of there. I HAVE noticed that she sits next to the door and keeps it open a crack while I'm in there; funny, but my ex-wife used to do the same thing.

That is why I can't be a commercial tier! I like dicking around to much!

Peter, I just got an order of spoons and decided to try the Nitrite gloves. Lets just say, I'd never make a surgeon, don't know how those guys work with gloves on! They wound up being a pretty sticky mess. I then tried the parchment paper that has worked for me in the past and that worked better but I still just find it more comfortable to make a better spoon with my bare fingers. A couple analogies come to mind but I wouldn't want to make Dave blush.

Kirk

Jeez, after that centerfold pose, I didn't think there was anything left that could make Dave blush.

Just FYI - a friend of mine up North who's a wizard with epoxy once mentioned that the tiniest bit of vegetable oil on the fingertips would prevent sticking. Never tried it myself, just tossing it out there. The same guy makes tiny crabs by applying dabs of epoxy onto waxed paper. Not sure any of this applies to spoon-making, just food for thought.

Peter, I would be concerned that the oil on my fingers would mingle with the epoxy that is being squished around the inside of the tubing and effect the adhesion is it mixes in with the epoxy. It might work though, thanks for the idea.

Kirk

You could very well be right about that. Mark usually waits for the epoxy to set up before he starts working it with his fingers. Mostly, he does crabs, etc. I can't imagine oil and epoxy would be a very good mix.

Hey Kirk...I watched a fella make some spoons like in your video a couple of years ago while I was in FL and he used something on his hand such as some kind of oil. For the life of me I just can't remember what it was. Hope I am not getting the big "A".

Peterjay...now I know why the barn door is always open a crack.

I seldom get into any of the fly swaps for the reasons mentioned above. 3 or 4 flies of a given pattern is a real strain. I may have ADD along with the Big "A"...I just can't remember.

Wow, after reading this thread, I feel much better now knowing that ADD or ADHD or whatever is so prevalent here. I seem to have the same problem. Not only do I not like tying multiples of the same pattern but when I get done with a new creation, I cant even remember the steps! I don't know squat about spoon flies except I tried a few epoxy ones with mono supports that I have yet to really try out. Looked to me like they could withstand the impact of a sledgehammer but had only OK action in the water. I am going to give them another go this summer. Regarding the above afflictions, the world is already full of uninteresting "normal" people that do the same thing every day and have no problem remembering what they did. Nothing wrong with adding some creative folks to the mix that admit they may have an "issue" or two. Its those deviants that dont realize they have issues that you gotta worry about.

PJ, here is a snippet from a local fishing report I saw today. Won't be long now.

"Puppy drum are still everywhere. These juvenile red drum will begin feeding with more regularity as the waters warm up a bit. Scattered pups ranging up to 23-inches are hitting Gulp grubs and top water lures in Rudee, Little Creek, and Lynnhaven Inlets, as well as throughout the Elizabeth River."