Fly Tying
ryveradair

expensive vices

The Renzetti Traveler is a very good vise. I had one for a few years. It doesn't have all the features of a Master vise, but will do most of things a Master vise will.

I disagree that you need a rotary vise to tie great looking flies. Most of the great flies were tied on stationary vises. Rotary vises make the process slightly quicker.

I disagree that you need a rotary vise to tie great looking flies. Most of the great flies were tied on stationary vises. Rotary vises make the process slightly quicker.

When I went primarily to a rotary vise (Peak) several years back, my tying improved. Speed is not a factor for me, I don't tie for speed.

"Most of the great flies were tied on stationary vises" is an interesting point of view. Most of the "great flies" in a historical sense were tied before what we know to be rotary vises were in common use. Also, from what I've seen, and continually see more of, many of the "great flies" tied in days long gone, really weren't that great by today's standards... Some were, and there obviously were some magically talented tiers who broke new ground at the proper time as well as having the sense to create what is "right" for the styles they made.

Imagine if those tiers had access to today's technology and materials?

When I went primarily to a rotary vise (Peak) several years back, my tying improved. Speed is not a factor for me, I don't tie for speed.

"Most of the great flies were tied on stationary vises" is an interesting point of view. Most of the "great flies" in a historical sense were tied before what we know to be rotary vises were in common use. Also, from what I've seen, and continually see more of, many of the "great flies" tied in days long gone, really weren't that great by today's standards... Some were, and there obviously were some magically talented tiers who broke new ground at the proper time as well as having the sense to create what is "right" for the styles they made.

This is spot on. I worked in a shop for a little while, and the shop owner used to say "These are the good old days of fly tying." We have access to materials that can tie virtually ANY fly pattern that the mind can concoct.

Somebody was asking me why we didn't do more spun deer hair tying on our site, and I told them that there are so many other materials out there that can take the place of hair... I'm not saying that I never tie with deer hair, it's just that the developments of synthetics, foam, etc, have kind of taken it's spot on my bench. Hackle is another story that I don't even need to explain.

Technology and genetics, certainly. Hackle is far better now that it used to be, and thread is a whole lot better. I suspect your tying should improve if you've been tying several years on ANY vise.

AK Best used to use a stationary vise and he ties exquisite flies. I like my rotary vise and use it almost exclusively, but I only get better by tying more flies, never mind what I tie them on.

Boy, ain't that the truth! I may be listed here as an "advanced member", I sure am not an advanced tyer! I can barely make a passable popping bug, and even though I'm willing to try a new fly pattern, I don't have too high expectations, and I certainly wouldn't blame my tools.

Thanks COMike

That Youtube video would be good advice to folks just starting out without any gear. It would have been better if it had been more general. Most everyone would agree with his sequence of vises, from very basic, to basic rotatable, to fully rotary, but I doubt you could get any agreement on his "pick" for each of the categories, and he would have been more helpful if he had stressed that those were just examples of each type, but not by any means all of the choices. I thought he kinda understated the importance (or at least the convenience) of being able to work on the bottom of the fly without having to unclasp the hook.

Also a bit more info about the bobbin cradle would have helped. I am not aware of any of the non-fully rotary vises that come equipped with one. I have a basic-rotatable vise and I made my own stand-alone bobbin cradle (which is nice because you can simply move it out of the way when you don't need it).

The Peak is a nice vise, and good price. That white pedestal base makes it look like lab equipment. I'm not crazy about the c-clamp that comes with it, but I do like the pedestal base.

Agreed with folks asking what they are looking for.

I am not proficient as I just started using the Peak Rotary Pedestal Base yesterday. Thus far I am pretty happy with it!!!

I have not tried the clamp as I did not get one. I do like the white base...personal preference. It does not hide my hooks or things I place on it. Very simple to use for me but again I don't have much experience with vises.

What I DO like is being able to rotate my fly to any position to inspect it. That (for me) is really nice and it is really easy to use. I have tried tying on a crown vise the other day and didn't like it as much as the Peak.

As far as the Renzetti goes, I haven't used one but it seems to be very similar to the Peak in functionality. I would be happy with either one.

If someone was looking at EITHER the Peak or the Renzetti, they are both made in the USA! I am happy about that! I elected to go with the Peak (major reason) because the company is located about 45 minutes away here in Colorado. Supporting local business!

I bought a Regal knockoff on Ebay for under fifty bucks. I'm new at this (so never owned a genuine Regal) but I really enjoy the vise.It holds the hook extremely well and I use the rotation function mostly for winding on dubbing.