Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SnackAttack

Daniel Boone NF or Smokey Mountains Trip

Hey all, I'm going on spring break here in a couple weeks on a backpacking trip. I have a couple questions that hopefully some of you can answer.

Our destination is hopefully Daniel Boone National Forest for a four day backpacking trip. I was hoping to bring my rod down with me and try my luck casting some streams that we may cross. Does anybody have any knowledge of fishing the area or have any routes that would be good to backpack? I'm having trouble finding information through the interwebs. Are back up plan if DBNF falls through is to go to Smokey Mountains NP. Basically the same questions apply here. Any questions shoot them my way.

I'll be very grateful for any input, thanks.

It's been ... decades ... since I fished the Smokeys.

But when I was in North Carolina in the 80's, I used to go up into the mountains at least one weekend a month. I went after Small Mouth Bass then. The creeks and rivers of the mountains usually teemed with Smallies. Just about any top water popper, dropped or moved through the areas above and below a rock would get hits.

Probably still the same ... I doubt the pressure has changed much, since a lot of that is still rather remote from large population centers.

Good luck.

Hey Snack

Im familiar with both areas as part of my county is in the DBNF and I have been through it in various parts of all over the eastern half of Kentucky. You weren't very specific as to where in each that you are going. They are big areas. The DBNF is not generally recognized as a trout destination. There are warm water streams with the associated species. The Smokies, while being in close proximity, are a different entity altogether. You can find information on them at Little River Outfitters and on the Southeastern Flyfishing forum. Another destination "kind of" between them and part of or adjacent to them is the Big South Fork Recreational area. The Big South Fork is located in McCreary County Kentucky and Scott County Tennessee. It is a warm water fishery with good smallmouth populations. There are some planted trout streams in that area as well. You didn't mention when exactly you were coming but turkey season is right around the corner so watch for hunters and wear a little orange. There are some hunters out there that shouldn't be in the woods.

Good luck!

I second Kudu's advice. My fishing buddy & I have fished a lot of the waters in SE Ky, Eastern Tn., and etc. Contact LRO, and talk to Daniel, Byron or Paula, they can give you some great advice. Also, LRO has a very active forum with up-to-date info on the various waters, and fishing conditions.

Bill

Thanks for the info so far.

The when is around April 20th. No exact info on the where yet. Like is was stated they are big areas, and I was hoping to get some feedback as to narrow down to a smaller area to investigate. Trying to figure out where to go is pretty difficult without some input from outside sources.

You are up in the mountains there so you had better be prepared for some cold temps.