Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
add147

Any Left Handed Folks Out There???

Just wondering how many of you are left handed out there? I write left handed, eat left handed, throw left handed, shoot left handed, bat softball right handed, and play golf right handed. Kind of a screwed up deal if you ask me but hey that is what feels natural...LOL I assume you place your vise on your right and use your left hand to tie your thread? At least that is what I am doing but I have only tied one fly so far. Been busy taking care of my son, he broke his ankle April Fools Day and he just had surgery today to place some screws in it to hold the bone in place while it heals.

I've seen some folks on video that are left handed and have the vise on their left side and still use their left hand to tie the thread. That seems very ackward to me! I was just wondering about the rest of the left handed folks out there.

I'm left handed. My vice is on my right and thread control in in my left hand. About the only thing I do right handed is shift. I'm a carpenter but hate the " left hand " saws. I'm used to watching the blade and not relying on the base marks.

Kevin

Everyone is born left-handed and remain left handed until their first sin is committed- Grandpa Schaffer RIP, left handed until that day he died at 95 years old.

I'm still left handed!

I golf right, bat right, throw a Frisbee right handed (broke my left arm when I was 5, learned with a cast on my arm), write left, throw left, page through magazines from back to front, and hold the thread with the right hand.

I also like the regular right-handed saws and I learned to use right handed scissors at a very young age. I found my elementary school teachers discriminatory against lefties.

Also a lefty, I write, eat, use my mouse, and hold my bobbin with my left hand. I to tend to flip through books back to front... I thought it was just me :)

I hold my rod, and cast left handed, reeling with my right. And for the most part I avoid right handed scissors, saws and HAMMERS my right hand thumb can not take too many more blows.

Lefty here too. Can't imagine tying with the vise on the left side. Can't imagine why unless it is affixed to a buddy's table and you have to tie there. I do golf and play guitar right handed but not tie.

love this quote, saw it on a mug once and wish I'd bought it :)

Everyone is born left-handed and remain left handed until their first sin is committed- Grandpa Schaffer RIP, left handed until that day he died at 95 years old.

Oh yeah,

I forgot the important stuff:

I beat.....

I cast with my left and reel with my right and I am not a south paw when threatened.

I too am left handed. I learned to tie with my vise on the right, using my left hand on the bobbin. I cast left handed, but taught myself to cast with my right hand, which saves wear and tear on a damaged shoulder. Left hand golf clubs were not readily available, so I USED to golf right handed. I no longer golf at all, considering that a good day to golf, is also a good day to fish. I play guitar right handed. I use right handed power tools without any problems.

I'm a lefty also but I'm kind of screwed up a bit (LOL).

Here are my some of my habits:

Things I do lefty: Write, eat, pass a football, shoot a gun, use power tools, shovel snow.

Things I do righty: shoot a bow, throw a baseball, play guitar, use the computer mouse.

Things I do both ways: Tie flies, cast a rod, throw a Frisbee,

As far as tying, the vise should always be on your non-dominant side.

I'm a lefty, but I tie right handed, with the vice on the left which is the way I learned. Actually, I like placing materials with my left hand, with the thread bobbin in my right hand. I feel that I have better control placing materials if I use my left hand. I think Charlie Craven is left handed, but ties right handed.

Bill

I'm left handed and tie with the vise on the right side and bobbin in left hand. I also do a lot of things right handed but generally use my left hand. I was born left handed.

I'm a lefty also but I'm kind of screwed up a bit (LOL).

Here are my some of my habits:

Things I do lefty: Write, eat, pass a football, shoot a gun, use power tools, shovel snow.

Things I do righty: shoot a bow, throw a baseball, play guitar, use the computer mouse.

Things I do both ways: Tie flies, cast a rod, throw a Frisbee,

As far as tying, the vise should always be on your non-dominant side.

Did you break your left arm when your were a kid?

I'm a lefty too, the only things I do right handed are shoot (gun and bow), throw a frisbee, and tie flies. Everything else is left. Don't know why I tie right handed, maybe that's why I'm not very good at it...should try to tie one left handed and see what happens.

I get that elementary teacher hate, apparently it was the devils way to hold my big red pencil in my left hand? I had the same biatch for a teacher from grade 1-3 and she used to seek up from behind me and smack my hand with a yard stick when I had that big red pencil in my left hand! In those days if you disobeyed a teacher you got the raspberry at home from your folks if you mentioned anything. Ironically my Dad is left handed?

I am now able to do things in an ambidextrous manner. I am left eye dominated so I shoot firearms left handed.

It's not a bad thing being ambidextrous !

I'm right handed, but tie left handed. My vise is facing to my left & I wrap thread with my left. I generally cast with my right, and reel with my left, except for my baitcasters which are all right hand crank. so I cast & switch hands. Spinning & fly, I reel with my left. Pretty much everything else I do as a right hander.

right handed in almost everything, volleyball,baseball,golf,writing,eating.. everthing except i fish with baitcasters left handed as thats how i learned and tying left handed from watching right handed people tie from the front then trying to replicate it when i started