Fly Tying
Lazarus

First Flies-Woolly Buggers, San Juan's

Hi all,

Just got started tying (and fly fishing), here's a sample of my efforts. The shot isn't the best, and I didn't think of taking some when I was tying them. The woolly b's are a mix of bead head and regular, while the San Juan are with pink chenille and red thread. One has a piece of 1/32 lead wrapped under the thread, while the other is just a plain hook. I am also planning on trying some with a bead in the middle of the hook, I have heard good things about them.

post-53080-0-99778900-1400270220_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance for advice and comments.

Regards,

Matt

Quality, Quantity, Cost. Pick two.

I, personally, like a lot of tail, so those with the bushier tails are great.
Good start to a fly tying journey.

And a question for the experts. How do you tie in flashabou? I've been starting with it in the tail and using the lead wire to wrap it up to the head, then once I get the chenille wrapped in I hold it down the body and secure it with the hackle. The only problem is, the flash wants to twist when I wrap it. Any suggestions?

Those look pretty decent! On the last one, it looks like the hackle is tied in backwards and facing the incorrect direction when compared to the traditional bugger. It is normally longer in front than in back and is swept back towards the tail and not towards the head. Might just be the way it looks in the photo too.

well the woolys look to be too inconsistent to me.

some have long tails some short.

some have sparse tails some have more than enough

some have hackle going all over the place

Laz!

Great tying!!!!!

Flytire is giving you some EXCELLENT ADVICE so heed it!!!!

I just started tying going on 7 weeks now and I have tried to take in all the advice from my instructors, books, videos, etc......

If I can elaborate on flytire's comments.....

TRY TO GET CONSISTENT in EVERY fly you tie!

CONCENTRATE on ONE FLY PATTERN at a time and do your best to perfect it...

What I have found is that when you try to tie a few patterns in a tying session (aka switching between patterns) it can lead to variations you (I) don't know where they come from......

Do you happen to have a mentor that teaches you? They can be invaluable!!!! Don't take their criticisms personally. There are MANY different ways to achieve a great fly that will catch fish! But listen and TRY their techniques!

It takes practice...something that I have not done over the past couple of weeks due to "reality" at our house......but do try to duplicate what your teacher taught you! If you don't have one you can pick up a book and then look at videos on YouTube to help. I have found that sticking to ONE or TWO to find a way to make the pattern "look" correct helps reinforce the consistency you need!

Just some thoughts from a "professional student"....LOL........

Mike :)

BTW.....I would fish each and every one of yours!!!!

I see where I'm going wrong. I have been tying the hackle in at the tail of the fly instead of the head. Then the widest portion is at the tail not the head. Also I've been cheap on the marabou and reusing the base of the feather for the next fly. Thanks for the advice!

You can still tie the hackle in at the tail, just tie it in by the tip. That will give you the taper you want. I stroke the fibers so they stand straight out from the stem. Also, if you wind the hackle so the stem slides between the wraps of chenille, you don't need to reinforce it.

Lots of ways of dong things.