Fly Tying

Add a Skeg to a Kayak - Revisited

Follow-up video on our "Add a Skeg to a Kayak, No Holes, No Glue...." video. Had to make an adjustment as the velcro adhesive did not hold when the lake temps were high due to a stretch of 100 degree weather this past Summer.

Lesson learned... to resolve the situation, we added the Skeg using the velcro strips applying Shoe Goop to the strips that were placed on the kayak. It's a semi-permanent fix. But, works well... No Holes, Some Glue... but can be easily removed as desired.

Do try it out on your Kayak... in this case, the Pelican Catch 100!

Made it to Denison Dam for some fun fishing for Striped Bass. Will get a video posted; for now here is the update while onsite at the Dam!

Denison Dam Fishing | Lots of Stripers on the Fly!

Lotta fun fishing Denison Dam Saturday for Striped Bass! Brought the Cabelas TLR 6wt Switch Rod with the Echo Ion 6/7 Wt Fly Reel and the OPST Skagit Head. Bite was good on small stripers hitting on the Denison Dam Dawber, Bennet's Lunch, Bucktail and Craft Fur Clouser Minnows.

Fast retrieves using short pulls and fast pulls worked, then they wanted a 10 count delay, later a 5 count delay, and then later no delay in the start of the retrieve.  Also, did get better hook up rates by dipping the rod tip in the water while retrieving. And then... later had a high stick, sweep the rod style retrieve that seemed to work well.

All of this before the started generating power.  After they started generating, then it was cast upriver, let the fly drift downriver and swing the fly, and then twitch the fly as you retrieved in back upriver at an angle.

Learned lots while there... bottomline: vary your retrieve, change fishing flies, and adjust to the fish as the pattern changes!

On 9/28/2020 at 3:21 PM, mikechell said:

That's a whole bunch of fish!  I've only caught a few of those, but they fight pretty good.  

Was a lotta fun!

Fly Fishing Tips from the Little Red Book of Fly Fishing | iFishNews Fishing Podcast 26

Number 6 in the ongoing "Little Red Book of Fly Fishing" podcast series where I review fly fishing tips in preparation for the upcoming Trout Stocking Season. This week it's fly fishing tips 21 through 24!

Tip 21: Water Load
Tip 22: Let the Current Do the Work
Tip 23: Roll'em Easy
Tip 24: Saving a Stroke

Do check it out, and do check back for the next episode for tips 25 through 28!
Tip 25: Woody Hayes Rule of Casting
Tip 26: Forty Feet in Fourty Seconds
Tip 27: Come Closer, Darling
Tip 28: When not to Cast (or Even Twitch)

Good Luck and Good Fishing!

Tnail_Podcast026.jpg

Working on a catch and cook video of another trip fly fishing Denison Dam.  Here is a quick update noting "free stuff" found at the dam (with waders of course).

@fshng84, saw Charlie Meyers on your red book. I corresponded with a different Charlie Meyers for a while. Thought you might find it interesting.

https://www.denverpost.com/2010/01/05/charlie-meyers-the-great-outdoors-writer-dies-at-72/

https://blog.vailvalleyanglers.com/fly-fishing-colorado-charlie-meyers-state-wildlife-area/

35 minutes ago, Sandan said:

@fshng84, saw Charlie Meyers on your red book. I corresponded with a different Charlie Meyers for a while. Thought you might find it interesting.

https://www.denverpost.com/2010/01/05/charlie-meyers-the-great-outdoors-writer-dies-at-72/

https://blog.vailvalleyanglers.com/fly-fishing-colorado-charlie-meyers-state-wildlife-area/

Thanks!  The red book has lots of tips... hope to find out which one I like the best.  So far, I like the one that suggests keeping your thumb in your peripheral vision!

Denison Dam Fishing | Catch and Cook Striped Bass

More fun fishing Denison Dam last Saturday for Striped Bass! Bite was slower than the weekend before but was able to catch a few; ended up keeping three Striped Bass for the Catch and Cook.

Brought the Cabelas TLR 6wt Switch Rod with the Echo Ion 6/7 Wt Fly Reel again. And correcting from our last video, the fly line was a Rio InTouch Chucker with integrated running line.

Stripers were hitting mainly striking on the Bennet's Lunch and Craft Fur Clouser Minnows this round. Did catch a couple of White Bass as well, and found an anchor!

Overall was a fun time!

For ease of reference, here are key places to skip to in the video:
Catch Section - 2:41
Cook Section - 9:17
- Cleaning - 9:17
- Seasoning - 12:52
- Cooking - 15:37

Simple Recipe:
- Clean, scale, and remove head and fins
- Season liberally with Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Paprika
- Pan fry on high heat for 5-10 minutes each side

Do give it a try!

15 hours ago, fshng84 said:

Thanks!  The red book has lots of tips... hope to find out which one I like the best.  So far, I like the one that suggests keeping your thumb in your peripheral vision!

I'll check it out

Where To Go Fishing This Weekend?
Some thoughts on where to go fishing this weekend. Have been enjoying the Striped Bass fishing at Denison Dam these past couple of weekends. But, this weekend, I am "home locked"... meaning have other commitments that require me to be home. That said, I do plan to try a local pond for some underwater action shots of the GoFish Cam. If asked where I would go fishing this weekend, I posted options that may be of interest to viewers in the DFW (Texas) area. 

Fly Fishing Tips from the Little Red Book of Fly Fishing | iFishNews Fishing Podcast 27

Number 7 in the "Little Red Book of Fly Fishing" podcast series where I review fly fishing tips in preparation for the upcoming Trout Stocking Season. This week it's fly fishing tips 25 through 28!

Tip 25: Woody Hayes Rule of Casting
Tip 26: 40 Feet in 4 Seconds
Tip 27: Come Closer, Darling
Tip 28: When not to Cast (or Even Twitch)

Do check it out, and do check back for the next episode for tips 29 - 32!
Tip 29: Control Trumps Distance
Tip 30: Pinkie Perfection
Tip 31: Cast Around Problems
Tip 32: Make Friends with the Wind

Good Luck and Good Fishing!

PS: Do check back, plan to post a video on Tip 26 "40 Feet in 4 Seconds" on our YouTube Channel - COAF Field Team. Stay tuned!

full-27186-69504-tnail_podcast027.jpg

Fly Fishing Tips | Casting 40 Feet in 4 Seconds?

As part of our Little Red Book of Fly Fishing series on our iFishNews Fishing Podcast, here is a video to expand on Tip 26 that calls for casting 40 feet in 4 seconds.

The book mentions fly casting from a practical caster standpoint - specifically, being able to cast 40 feet of line in 4 seconds to a target called out by someone else at random. This one had our interests, so we decided to give it a try.

Lesson Learned: It's challenging, don't try to recover from a bad cast or mistake just to make the 4 second time limit. Better to take to time to recover, and prepare for the next cast.

Do give it a try and see if you are a practical caster!

Hear more tips on the latest iFishNews Fishing Podcast at Fly Fishing Tips from the Little Red Book of Fly Fishing | iFishNews Fishing Podcast 27

As part of our Little Red Book of Fly Fishing series on our iFishNews Fishing Podcast, here is a video to expand on Tip 26 that calls for casting 40 feet in 4 seconds. The book mentions fly casting from a practical caster standpoint - specifically, being able to cast 40 feet of line in 4 seconds to a target called out by someone else at random. This one had our interests, so we decided to give it a try. ut, we made an oops. The tip calls for holding the fly in your hand. Here is a quick impromptu do over from the other day. It's still challenging, and it's still fun! Do give it a try!