Fly Tying
vicrider

"Tie your favorite" swap

Vicrider, I am not sure if they have a name. I was fishing my favorite little brookie creek years back when I met up with a distant cousin that gave me a few of the little flies that he had tied. They worked so well that I started tying and using them a lot. The post is just pearl Krystal flash but it is amazing how well you can see it on the water. I have tried a lot of different things to dub the body with but I usually use beaver, muskrat or superfine dubbing. The ones that I sent you are with superfine. The wing is turkey tail that I coated with Aleene's Fabric Fusion and then separated the slips the width that I needed and then cut to shape. The flies have caught me a lot of trout over the years and it is the first thing that I tie on if I see caddis flies when I am in the creek.

Mine are all tied up and will ship tomorrow. I tied a a whack of "Tak's Go 2 Caddis" for everyone.

J-Kno, your Taks are here and looking good, even if I need my reading glasses to get a really good look. They should be put to good use and I will plan to have one on when I go to (if I go to) White River next month. Fly collection is starting to look really good and hope to fill it out soon and turn them around.

My flies should be there in a day or two. I sent them Wednesday last week and I just tracked them a few minutes ago and it seems they were stuck in limbo until this morning for whatever reason. But according to the USPS site they left Pa finally and are in route to you.

D-Cap, your flies arrived and everyone gets a bonus on this one. I nice winged dry and a teeny tiny nymph to hang back and get the undecided ones.

Will do Henrik. I'll be watching for them.

The dry is called the henryville special an old local pattern created by Theodore Gordon. The tiny fly is a sunken trico spinner. It won't sink much and it may even float with some floatant on it but it worked like a charm this summer.

Henrik, your beautiful steamers have arrived. That's a wing style that is popular on some ties but I always have trouble with it. Thanx for extras.

Should be a few more coming in soon so we can get these turned around.

Just an update. We have two sets of flies on their way. One will take a little longer from where it's coming from but circumstances made early mailing impossible. So 9 are in, 2 are on their way, and I'll PM the remaining unknown factor to check on progress. What we have is already a great and usable collection for many of us and the complete set should be a winner. The quality of ties amongst the active people on this board is so high I strain to keep somewhere near their level. Fortunately I know I've improved a lot since my tying began again after years of bass fishing and has improved since my early swap attempts. Maybe not to the level of many of our board tiers but fishable and close to original patterns, except for those which deviate for swap reasons.

Well guys, it looks like we'll be one swapper short. I've PM'ed and emailed Frankie98 and the young lad hasn't responded yet. There are a couple of us who have two flies in the swap so we're still going to get a nice set and if we do end up short I'll shuffle the extra fly around.

Okay guys, before you think I'm pulling a "Carpie" on ya', still waiting for a couple of sets. Joseph Russell, yours have come thru in short order (before) but still no sign of them. Did you save a tracking # to check on them? artimus is working hard to catch up on a lot of things and his should be on there way soon or hopefully are.

As for our youthful Frankie 98, no answers to PM or email so I have to assume he's a no show. Kind of irritating since he specifically said he was ready for a swap and didn't want to keep missing them. Unfortunately, unless he pops up from his Grand Theft Auto he picked this swap to show his reliability in.

Pulling a "Carpie".... That is funny on this thread...On others? Not - so - much... You still have my faith in you...

good morning all,

i would like to apologize for holding up the swap. being tardy is not my m/o.

my fly: SBN (small brown nymph) Flashback. it is a simple generic fly that has caught fish for me.