Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salmobytes

Yellow Sally

Medium small Yellow Sally

#18 scud hook. Body tied on a beading needle, wrapped and dubbed over the needle, over the stem end of a duck flank feather, with the tips of the duck flank folded back while still on the needle. Slide it off the needle. Mount it on a scud hook. Add hackles underneath tied the Right Way. The hackle fuzz is a mixture of gray Zelon, shrimp colored Ice Dub and dark green Crystal Flash, blended with wool combing cards prior to mounting below the shank.

Yellow-sally.jpg

Not at all traditional, and not what I was thinking of when I saw Yellow Sally in the title. Innovative just the same. If it catches fish its good if not, then it was a fun tie.

:=)) Merry Christmas all. I was going to head up into the Park today but..............Mr Blizzaaaaaard is now out in the yard. Snow's coming down sideways. The above little stonefly adult does work well. I fished it quite a bit this summer, in various sizes and colors. I haven't tried making a big salmon fly this way yet. There's a good project. I'll try to work that one in.

Here's the Yellow Sally model -- a common early summer stonefly in the Northern Rockies. The nymphs for this stonefly aren't only crawlers, they're outrageously fast swimmers as well.

Yellow-sally-adult.jpg

_PIC4282_Yellow-sally-nymph.jpg