Fly Tying
kimjensen

Dyna King Trekker. Hook slipping.

Have you tried slight cone adjustment.... it may spread the gape slightly but it will spring back after the tie is complete.

I have tried adjusting the tension on the cone, but it need to be quite tight for the cam to lock before the hook slipping stops.

I honestly don't have that problem so maybe it is a manufacturing fault...... can you contact the dealer and let him know the problem ?

Some times an e-mail to the parent company ( Dynaking) may be of help , I have found them very obliging.

Just out of interest did you grease every thing up before you started using it ( the cone, jaws, and lever)

I used petroleum jelly(vaseline)

I honestly don't have that problem so maybe it is a manufacturing fault...... can you contact the dealer and let him know the problem ?

Some times an e-mail to the parent company ( Dynaking) may be of help , I have found them very obliging.

I have contacted Dyna King, but haven't heard from them.

I think I'll contact the dealer too.

Something must be wrong with the jaws. At one point it's tight enough, take out the hook, put it back in and then it slips again when pushing up on the hook. Just weird.

Just out of interest did you grease every thing up before you started using it ( the cone, jaws, and lever)

I used petroleum jelly(vaseline)

Yep. I followed the steps on the video on Dyna King website.

Have you tried seating the hook higher in the jaws? Looks like you have it seated in the groove such that you do not have much contact with the actual jaws,

Because of the clamping angle.

Depending on where the hook is actually clamped, the hook may only be pinched at one point. Pushing down might be "bolstered" by the rest of the bend pushing back against the narrower angle of the clamp. Pushing up on the hook doesn't have the same "support", so the hook moves.

Sorry, forgot to put the diagram in.

You can easily push this hook up, but it will be much harder to push down.

Have you tried seating the hook higher in the jaws? Looks like you have it seated in the groove such that you do not have much contact with the actual jaws,

I thought it was supposed to sit in the groove? I think the key is lacking contact or preasure?

Because of the clamping angle.

Depending on where the hook is actually clamped, the hook may only be pinched at one point. Pushing down might be "bolstered" by the rest of the bend pushing back against the narrower angle of the clamp. Pushing up on the hook doesn't have the same "support", so the hook moves.

Sorry, forgot to put the diagram in.

attachicon.gifclamp point.jpg

You can easily push this hook up, but it will be much harder to push down.

It's seated in the front groove, following the groove, if that makes sense?

I thought it was supposed to sit in the groove? I think the key is lacking contact or preasure?

Size 6 is not that large a hook. I'll have to experiment a bit at home on mine too see where the sweet spot is on a similiar hook, but I would just use the front part of the jaws if it slides in the groove. I usually do not use the grooves until I get a much bigger hook (2/0).

Size 6 is not that large a hook. I'll have to experiment a bit at home on mine too see where the sweet spot is on a similiar hook, but I would just use the front part of the jaws if it slides in the groove. I usually do not use the grooves until I get a much bigger hook (2/0).

Doesn't work. I have cranked the preassure so tight i had to use 2 hands to close the jaws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rScGhEhfitI