Fly Tying
Tim Shovel

Dubbing (to many options)

Thanks MikeChell,

I may go with a Redington Path combo and get all the stuff in one shot. The cost is great for me and the Orvis Clearwater combo I was thinking about us over $110 more than the Redington combo. The Redington has a lifetime warranty on the rod (a great plus) and comes loaded with RIO lines, For a started outer like me and from the reviews I've see in my searches, it'll be a great starting rod for the money.

Thanks to all that pitched in your thoughts!

i hope that you are happy with the combo that you selected. it sounds like a great deal.

$110? there is your casting lesson paid for :)

Just a thought here, would golden retriever hair work? She sheds all day long. I have a cat ad well that sheds and two guinea pigs if either of these would work

I hope you got your dubbing sorted out Tim?

not yet went to bps and saw a couple crankbaits, next thing I know I have 3 lures and a short b-day list of fishing lures

Tim tim tim! Did you buy some lures? Just kidding, i used to use them all the time & still do once a year when i visit my uncle on his island on a fresh water lake because he is not a fly fisherman! Golden retriever would probably work on a dry fly! Couple years ago on the bus i was looking at the womans hair sitting in front of me, big black & very very fusy! If i would have been coming back from the bar & had some siccers? I might have cut some dubbing!

Tim,

The animal hairs will work if they give you the outcome you are looking for on the hook. Useless answer, right? Golden Retriever hair, as I remember it, has a long staple (fiber length) in both the guard hair (coarse) and the underfur (soft and fluffy). If the guard fibers are too big around, they may make the dubbing too coarse to wrap around the thread effectively, and can get frustrating to work with. Adding some of the underfur to it can help, as will cutting the fibers shorter. (but not too short) It will bind to itself both around the thread and to the guard hair. The question becomes, is that what the picture in your mind's eye looks like? It isn't? Time to try a different material.

OK, now change that size 14 trout hook out for a size 1 or 1/0 bass hook. Now the size of the hook compared to the size of the fibers is more favorable. I'm not saying to tie a box full of 1/0 hare's ear (OK, Golden Retriever) nymphs, although you can if you want to. I'm just saying that there is a use for the material. I won't even call it an appropriate use, because wildly scraggly may be just the look you are trying to achieve.

I tied a woolley bugger on a bass worm hook, complete with wire weed guard, using those sparkly pipe cleaners, a whole tuft of Marabou and a schlappen feather. Just because. Never fished it. Sure was shiney.

I guess the point I was trying to make is this: EVERYthing is tying material. It just has to be able to create an appearance you are trying to show to the fish(erman).

Oh, and my wife's cats won't come near me if I have my scissors in my hand. Weird.

I agree about the trip thru the fishing tackle stores. Stuff just seems to multiply in my basket.

Kirk B.

I meant the fur when you brush them, a lady friend breads them! Also you can put almost anything in a dubbing loop & remember veevus 16/0 is really strong!